Premed 101 Forums

UWO workload - slacker's survival rate?

Guest sparkingeyes

Guest sparkingeyes

What is the workload like at uwo? Approx how many hrs/wk does the average student put in to studying?

If I'm an occasionalfrequent procrastinator/slacker of average intelligence, what are the chances that I will be able to manage through all 4 yrs of the program (say with a 70 average)? Are there students currently enrolled at western who are slackers and space-out all the time who manage to do fairly well?

thx to all those who respond:)

Guest pinkflowers101

I'd like to know too! As I tend to spend more time with boys than with books lol!

(p.s. I'm in-province ;) )

Guest Audio

Damn, too bad I'm going to UofT cuz pinkflowers is turning me on:evil

How bout we meet up for a little...ummm, oral exam:eek

jk, I'm just sad that I'll be at UofT where most people are dead inside :(

Guest Aplusdent

So why did you choose to go there?? (or did you have no choice..)

Don't worry...I'm sure there is at least one spacey female dent student at UT...maybe...:rolleyes

Guest Audio

lol potential to hook up with fellow female students did not come into play in my decision hahaha

I won't hear from Western til June 30th like most people but most likely I'll be at UofT (unless they give me money, which might make me hesitate).

And all joking aside, there were some cool students at UofT and at my interview so it shouldn't be too bad.

Guest Mr Shakur

From the Slackers of Slackers.... :smokin

I am a UWO student... currently in first year...

I am a born slacker, for most of the written tests me and my 'crew' have put in about a day per test, some two... but for the practical test, we've put in a lot... probably an average of 5 hours per week for our drilling averaged over the year... some weeks would be about 1, whereas near the end we were putting in 10-15 hours a week. But yeah, if you wanna slack at UWO, its easy to do, just make sure you do learn stuff tho, cuz u dont wanna be messing up on patients when you're in clinic... hope that helps...

Guest Hugo69

Hah,

Let me put it this way, I did my undergrad at UofT, went to western for dental school and felt like it has dumbed me down. You can easily pass by studying very little on the most part.

Guest twistedbrain

I guess it's for my reply too.. a second year UWO Dental Student.

I'm a Slacker compare to the rest of my classs... Compare to Mr. Shakur's class, we, our class, are buncha real hardcores who put in at least 9 hours per week for 1st year, and god knows how many hours in 2nd year.... that's the practical hands-on stuff. As for studying time... hahaha... our class studies like crazy before exam... many starts 3 weeks before the exam. I start 1 or 2 days before... damn those procrastination... and got along ok. I guess there are just too many people who want to specialize in my class to cover my slackiness. :rollin

Guest Tonick

To all current Western students: Does the adcom really wait until late June to hand out the majority of acceptances??? This is such a painstaking wait!!!! UWO is the last CDN school I've got a shot at and I'm soooooooooooooooooo stressed about it. I don't think I can handle another month...:eek

Guest Labby Labberson

Hang in there Tonick, Im in the same boat buddy.

I got waitlisted last year and I got my email sooner than I thought in june, something like the 20th? Im really not sure on the date but it wasn't the last week or anything

Guest Tonick

Thanks for the support dude, it feels like my summer can't begin until I find out about UWO! If you got waitlisted last year I think you've got a great shot. I foresee a waitlist for me as well this time around because my GPA is avg. but I hope all the other parts of my app. will outweigh that. Anyways, I think I'll go for a run to clear my head!!! It seems to work at least temporarily :)

Guest sensodyne

well, Trish told me that adcom meets on June 22nd, but who knows, maybe they will meet earlier and send out offers earlier as well. I want to hear from UWO ASAP too because if I get accepted there, I'd have to move with my wife across the country. Oh and then there's the finding a new place, getting used to London (never been there), etc.

Guest Tonick

Hey Sensodyne, I guess I shouldn't complain. Your situation because you are married is I guess even more stressful than my own. Lets hope then for all our sakes that they will send out offers for sure before June is out.

Guest Labby Labberson

all Trish told me last year was that I was about halfway down the list and that they did not get to my position on the list the previous year. Sooooo obviously not too many get in off the wait list at UWO. They are very secretive, they will not tell you what number you are or anything, and didnt even let me know when the class was filled. I went through the whole summer waiting until classes finally started and was like so I guess I'm doing fourth year....8o

Guest Aplusdent

So there's a lot of waiting around...what if you've completed your degree in the spring..and you're just waiting around all summer wondering if you got in? Do you guys go ahead and sign up for additional post-grad classes just in case? I mean if you're waiting around you really have no clue what's going to happen to you once August comes along..(or July for some schools).

Guest Tonick

Well grad school deadlines are usually in February... So there's not much you can do but reload and reapply if necessary.

Guest Labby Labberson

Im applying to grad school at western as a back up in case I don't get in. I gotta stay prepared and not get screwed over. Those apps are due in June to start in september

Guest bebostyle

that sucks guys...im waiting as well..im from uwo as well labby, what program are you from? we probably konw each other...

so to the person before, you have noclue how many got in off the waiting list then? halfway down the list is pretty far down !

Guest predentalguy

ya from what I remember the waitlist is given to everyone who didnt get accepted - with only a few rejections. In other words the waitlist is something like 150 people.

But getting in off the waitlist at western has always been slim considering they send out the responses very late.

Personally i dont think the adcom meets before june 22, since they need to receieve all relevant documentation from the applicants before then. For instance I know uofT graduations are mid june. so by the time the registrars send info that the applicant has finally graduated, june 22 has rolled right around the corner.

But ur right this wait is is lethal...what are ur stats like for top two years like anyway?

cheers

Guest tamkhan1

for some reason, i feel like the waitlist will move quite a bit this year

does western have some sort of a quota according to which they select; are there certain minimum spots for 3rd year undergrads, 2nd year undergrads and honors graduates? i guess not

Guest bebostyle

mine are top 2 89% ,96 on the dat....

but who knows, its the interview that determines things...and i dont know how much it makes a diff say b/w someone with an 85 vs 89 ....

Guest Labby Labberson

My top two years average about 87% and 100 on the DAT,

The thing that irks me about last year was that in my interview the two people said that we didnt need to do the informal second part because I had impressed them so much..then I got waitlisted. What more do you want? Thats why I'm convinced that they must really prefer people with degrees, because at the time I was finishing up third year. Of course at the time my best two years was a hair lower and only had a 91 on the DAT...

bebostyle, I'm in the honors microbiol/Immuno. BMSc program (finished now obviously) so were gonna see just how much weight these "bonus points" carry

Guest bebostyle

to be truly honest, i dont think these bonus points mean s'hit all...i just finished my degree in honours medical biophysics.

I talked to a guy going into his 4th year just a few days ago, he said he got rejected after applying in his 4th year, and reapplied the year after with almost identical stats and got in then...i think if anytihng, i can improve the interview, and the rest is the luck of who interviews you !

for me, the 2 people wre not even from uwo, so when i said what i like about uwo etc, i felt it didn't ahve as much impact as i wanted on them since they are not from here, kinda bs, but that's the luck of the draw !!

goodluck

bebo

Archived