Premed 101 Forums

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I need advise on what to do. I have two courses left to finish for my program. I will be finishing those from september 2021-december 2021 and apply to graduate. My cGPA for now is a 3.0. I was about to do a fifth year hoping it will increase my GPA but it'll be a waste of time and money since its not going to increase as much. I know I have to do a second degree. My question is what do I do a second degree in? I searched up accelerated nursing and the courses they require, I mostly have. I added the pre-reqs courses in my schedule for now. So now my schedule has four courses (two courses for my program, two for the pre-reqs for nursing).

My EC's are good. I was a research assistant in a lab for four months. Have two hospital volunteering for 1+ years each and have been doing religious volunteering for 4-5 years now. I am currently volunteering at a hospital for about 6 months now but I think I'll leave this and continue the other hospital ones. I haven't written my MCAT yet. 

These are rough estimates and I'm using OMSAS for this since my school is not on a 4.0 scale. These years include summer courses as well. 

year 1: 2.5

year 2: 2.4 (more than full course load; this is whats dragging me down because I had no guidance whatsoever)

year 3: 3.0-3.3

year 4: 3.0-3.3 (I think its around 3.4; COVID year)

I am retaking one class rn in the summer because I got a D+ last time. This time its an A. After this semester, my cGPA will most likely be close to 3.1 but nothing more than that.

The first 2 years I did not have any guidance on what to do and how to make a schedule and didnt know how to study. Year 3 and 4 I did better and learned from my mistakes and what works for me. I would like to show this through a second undergrad degree. My question is: What are some other options to do a second degree in? (preferrably something that will get me a job in if med doesnt work out). I researched on some courses I can do to some a technician but those are all college diploma's not a degree which I know wont be good for med schools at all. Any advice would be appreciated!!

19 hours ago, jb24 said:

Teaching might be a good option outside of nursing. Could also consider a masters program but I'm not sure how medical schools look at that.

Ultimately you need to bring your GPA up, which I think is achievable, but will take hard work.

I researched on Master programs and apparently it won't be counted as anything significant since my undergrad is bad. I was looking at requirements from Accelerated Nursing but the number of seats per year discourages me from even applying. Thank you for teaching as a suggestion!