Premed 101 Forums

Is it necessary to take first aid trianing before applying?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

I know a UBC dental student who told me that I should take first aid training before applying for dental school b/c 1) it looks good on application, and 2) dental students are required to do it if they don't have one, so it's just better to get over with it 3) some basic first aid is required for every health professional.

So, did you guys actually take first aid course before applying to dental schools?

Guest roofus

no.

we have been taught three times over 4 years during dental school.

it doesn't matter if you know it before...

Don't grasp at the little things.

UBC is suspect. Believe me.

Guest roofus

Not to get into too many details... But it is just that the inner workings are really a black box. No one has a clue what is going on. In the past I have worked with half a dozen faculty members and from them it is really a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

The students there don't have an identity in the first couple of years since they are dwarfed by the med class. When I was in grad school in the faculty of dentistry at UBC, my co-supervisor was in charge of re-doing the first year curriculum. One minor problem was that he wasn't a dentist and knew lots about tiny molecules but noting about teeth. It's unfortunate, but Is that what 42k gets you?

All in all, however, the school graduates very compotent dentists, of which, many will be my colleagues and I look forward to working with them. Plus the new building looks very good.

Good luck in your future endeavours!!!

Archived