Premed 101 Forums

Don't fall into Rock the Tutor's trap

Guest Bigheadbebe

Guest Bigheadbebe

Hi all:

Watch out for Rock the Tutor's marketing scheme. They intentional use several account to bad mouth the DAT Tutor, which have prepare students into dental schools.

Last year, at least 10 students in UBC got in through their help. That's 25% in the entrance profile!!!

Rock the Tutor's former history is the very dismal Canadian Dental Test Prep which have fallen apart because of Kaplan and local dental student group, like the DAT Tutor.

Rock the Tutor simply hire some innocent dental students to do the job for them. They are helping the IQ Publications booklet which when you look at their editorial inside those booklets it says they are connected to the fallen test prep thing.

Watch out for public company who want your money badly, and say thing to attract you to their business by lowering the creditibility of the others.

I would trust the DAT Tutor group more than a public business company using dental students as selling strategy!

Rock the DAT is originate from Edmonton. Same as the former the so-called great Canadian Test prep group in the late 90s!!!

Guess, what they will call themselves in next 10 years, after their history is revealed???

Guest Dent08

Rock the DAT is a program that was created by the dental students at the U of A. It is a yearly fundraiser for 2nd year dental students. Any money raised goes to the class's grad fund. Last year 17 dental students from the class of 2008 came to the day-long sessions to help aspiring dentists prepare for the DAT. The positive feedback that was received was overwhelming.

DON'T OPEN YOUR STUPID MOUTH IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

If you are the type of UBC student that is involved in their DAT tutor program, your comments here should be enough to convince everyone that your program is taught by idiots who have no idea what they are talking about. Nice job.

Guest Bigheadbebe

I am very surprise your claim as using their fund raising as a disguise. Why do they need to fundraise over the whole of Canada. Are you saying Alberta doesn't have enough oil to fundraise nowadays?

Stop using fundraising as selling pitch. It is ridiculous to fundraise all the way to Ontario :rollin

Guest Dent08

Do I need to explain how expanding the student run program across Canada may increase the funds raised? Wow.

Clearly you are pissed because your tutor program has a little competition this year. Rather than stepping up your program to offerthe best possible service to students, you chose to badmouth rockthedat with lies?

When you are a dentist are you going to run a sub-par dental practice and hope to get patients by badmouthing and spreading lies about other dentists in the area? If so ... expect an empty waiting room.

Guest Bigheadbebe

Guess, U of A student can do fundraising to other university campus, while other can't do fundraising to local charity... so who is digging the money here?

BTW, how is your IQ booklets selling? Guess, it must be good business eh?

After your posts, I don't trust your group more than I first start to write my comment.

Guest Dent08

My group?

I'm a U of A dental student who has been invloved in the RockTheDAT course in the past. If you want any info from the current class running the program, you can contact them directly through their website.

I don't really know what else to say. You've really put your foot in your mouth here. Your attempt to bash my School's DAT course has really blown up in your face.

Anyone here who was thinking about UBC's DAT tutor program ... now you know what type of people you're dealing with. Buyer Beware.

Guest Bigheadbebe

STOP laughing at UBC dentistry!!!

What's the problem with UA Dental student? Are you guys really have a problem? Guess, you are trying your nuts out of offering a program in BC, but facing a better higher quality program, and now trying to use different badmouthing version to hurt the other group's reputation eh? Enough yet?

Guest Dent08

lol. I can't even understand half of what you're trying to say. I won't bash you for that, but clearly english is your second language.

You need to learn when to give up.

Guest Bigheadbebe

So looks like DAT Trainer is another name of yours eh? Wow, how many version do you have?

Anyway, I don't think it is appropriate to keep badmouthing other group for your own advantage. I guess it would be nice for everyone in this forum to know what is going on here. Afterall, I won't bother to write.

Just watch out, everyone.

Guest Dent08

You clearly have no idea whats going on.

You are paranoid and think that 1 person has multiple screen names and they are bashing your program. Now you're running around and blaming anyone you see. Time for a trip to the psychiatrist.

I don't even know what DAT Trainer is.

Guest Bigheadbebe

I guess you better check your own website to see who DAT Trainer is!!!

Guess, you must have used that DAT Trainer name to ripe other students, and now changing DAT Trainer to Rock the DAT eh?

Perhaps, you should rush to your website and change that before write another post.

I think this post really speak of itself eh? Afterall, you don't need to keep writing if there is no problem with your group :eek

Guest Dent08

Again ... if you have any questions about rockthedat.com, please contact the current dentistry class that is running the course. They will be able to explain it to you.

I was involved last year, and therefore know enough about the course to correct your ridiculous lies.

Guest RockTheDAT

Hi BigHeadBebe,

This is Calvin from the U of A DDS Class of 2009; also the project manager of ROCK THE DAT.

I'm not even sure if I should reply to this thread b/c you are referring to an entity called "Rock the Tutor". In case you mean "ROCK THE DAT", I just have a few comments.

From your posts, there seems to be a couple of misunderstandings about who ROCK THE DAT is and our relationship with IQ Publications. If you have any questions about our program, we invite you to contact us directly. Below is clarification of the two misunderstandings that have been raised.

1. IQ Publication and Canadian Dental Test Prep

Although we have a working relationship with IQ Publications, we are not the old Canadian Dental Test Prep company. Our relationship with IQ Publications is to the extent that we distribute their products at the same price as University Bookstores across Canada. Students found these books helpful when preparing for the DAT exam. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we do not push these products. They are there as supplements for anyone who might need them.

2. About ROCK THE DAT

ROCK THE DAT is a fundraiser for the second year dental class at our school. The Class of 2008 (and hence Dent08) ran the project last year. Despite the change in project ownership, the intent is the same - to help aspiring students with the DAT exam hurdle while FUN-draising for our class.

Anyone can visit our class website at: 2009.uofadent.com and see that we’re real people with a sense of fun! We are not some rip off scheme that has been suggested.

Over 150 former and current dental students have taught this course since its establishment in 2000. Every year, the course is continually improved with new ideas, tips, skills, and tricks to help our students.

In the past, our class is offered in Alberta during the fall and winter only. This year, we are taking our program national; with summer sessions in selected cities. We believe that our philosophy and skills can help students across Canada. As such, we have established relationships with dental students in their perspective provinces to become trainers. Besides superior DAT scores, these trainers must take the Train-The-Trainer program to ensure consistency and quality before teaching our students.

On a different note, the Chair of our department has recognized and praised our organization. We also pride ourselves on quality, professionalism and key competencies that have been established over the past 6 years. We expect the same from our competitors.

We trust that this thread was initiated out of some misunderstanding, so please feel free to contact us with further inquiries.

Summer is here. I'm going out to enjoy the sun and hope to learn a bit of cardio and pulmonary anatomy. ;)

Calvin

ROCK THE DAT Project Manager

Email: info@rockthedat.com

www.rockthedat.com

Guest Bigheadbebe

Just another post for you to follow as I previously posted on another link:

For all dental students in UBC, I strongly advise you to disregard the action taken by U of A dental students to invade into UBC campus. First, your Faculty is not supporting this action of having another school's students to use you as their so called "trainers", as you might be contacted already by them. Second, you don't want to get into trouble and controversey with your classmates, colleagues, and Faculty. Third, if you are keen to help in DAT tutoring, drop the DAT Tutor group a line. They are your local group and have been around for nearly 10 years, and some of you may know them well already.

Why are all these UA dental students need to go to different province to brag about their services, degrading their out of province colleagues, and get their graduate funding from out of province? It is just a big joke.

Their link with the former International Test prep is very questionable. I strongly advise all dental students across the nation beware of this. What's behind the curtain?

If these UA students only focus on their own campus, I don't really care, but they are stepping into all our campus territory.

According to their msg, they say their dept support them. I wonder whether it is true esp, if their Dean know that they are trying to exploit other university campus students and environment.

Guest kellyl20

What about Kaplan and Princeton? My bother and sister both taught for these two companies and they were med and dent university students recruited by them. They went to UBC and UA.

How is that different?

Guest Bigheadbebe

Kaplan is a fine company for MCAT, their DAT publication are fine to use. However for their DAT course, I think is way too expensive, and local students don't need to take their course to get in. I guess that's one reason why DAT Tutor is still around to fight with them. Hey Jen, just ask around the 4th year's stat of usage of DAT help and 1st year's stat, you probably see a big shift in balance in student's profile. The bottom line is they don't need Kaplan to get in.

I guess Kaplan will take the advantage and come back into the picture if Rocking doesn't discipline themselves and stay in Alberta headquarter (assuming they really concern about their out of town colleagues). If Rocking keep putting nice beautiful city pictures in their website, their intention is very obvious. For those who don't know what's International dental test prep, probably those senior dental students may know a bit about the history. Few years ago they have a nice website comparable to Rocking's, but that website now serve as a selling portal for their IQ book, as they stop offering course in 2003 due to their poor reputation, and here rise the brand new Rocking at similar timing.

Princeton is not a DAT company, as they are not expert in DAT. I won't take their course. I don't even know if Princeton exist in BC for DAT. Why take Princeton if you can afford Kaplan. Why take Kaplan if local DAT tutoring are doing a great job here?

Archived