Premed 101 Forums

admissions

Guest Bug2ooth

Guest Bug2ooth

Hey!

Can someone please explain how interview selection occurs?

Oh k so western wants your best two years and UFT wants your best three years.

If you are applying in your fourth year lets say to UWO, will they pick your best two years that you have already completed upon applying, or will they pick your best one and wait and see what your marks are for fourth year. I hope that makes sense.

Does the same go for uft or different schools work differently?

Thank you!!!!!

BUG2OOTH

Guest uoft Chemistry

Hey there,

I can't speak for UWO, but i can certainly speak for UofT admissions as I'm very familiar with it.

Lets say your a 4th year student, so u have only years 1-3 marks:

i.e.) Yr.1: 3.5, Yr. 2 : 3.7 , Yr. 3 : 4.00

What admissions will do is only look at yr 2 & 3 to calculate your GPA in the process (since it is only your best 2 that count). In this case your GPA would be 3.85 overall. (DAT scores only count initially for the interview selection but then in the overall standing its amounts to about ~ 10% of the final selection which isn't much).

If your only in 3rd year and applying then all you have is yr 1 and 2 and that's what they will use.

I hope that helps , and good luck :)

Guest Meddream

Are you sure UOfT looks at only 2 yrs for 4th yr students? so they look at yr 2 best yrs? so it can be yrs 1 and 2?

Also, do they look at summer courses?

Also, if I took 4.5 courses in my 1st yr, is that yr automatically out of calculation?

Guest uoft Chemistry

Hey Meddream,

Yes I'm sure of that. Sure it can be years 1 and 2 if yr 3 is your worst. Yes summer courses are counted. If u take 4.5 during the year and 0.5 in summer thats fine, just total it all up.

In your case NO 1st year is not out, because if it's still your best years then that's what the calculation will be.

Guest Bug2ooth

hey!

from my understanding summer courses were not counted. are you sure about that?

if you were to take one course in the summer, that would be added to your cumulative gpa, but would that be part of you yearly gpa - i thought they looked at first and second semester where you had a full course load and the summer course would just be extra?

Guest uoft Chemistry

whatever you have taken is counted as ur GPA, EVERYTHING...even summer..... If you really want to know for sure and just need some 1 to confirm it at admissions, just go to their web page under FAQ or call them and they are perfectly upfront about it. But yes all courses count, even summer ( I guess it's good for some ppl and others feel its unfair, but at UT thats just the ways things go)....

Anyways good luck guys

Guest Bug2ooth

yah i just asked someone else as well and they said the samething.

so lets say u go to ut and u apply to western, they would also take the summer courses into consideration when thye look at your best two years?

Archived