Premed 101 Forums

transfer to York from UofT

Guest tamkhan1

Guest tamkhan1

so what do you guys think? a friend of mine is thinking of transferring to york, from uoft..strange decisions..but not a bad one, i think. shes in her 3rd year right now and feels like her marks arent high enough for dental schools..

u think transferring is a good option?

Guest Hugo69

well, i think if your friend wants to do well with respect to marks, then go ahead and go to york. it's all about strategy when it comes to getting into dental school. but will york prepare you well for dental school? i don't think so. i believe there is only one person in my class that got in from york.

Guest whitestrip

Hugo, didn't u just contradict u'reself ??

if there's only one person in u're class from York, dosen't that indicate that not many ppl from york have the required GPA to get into a dental school, considering GPA is an essential criteria and not "preparedness to attend dental school" ??

Guest Hugo69

what i'm saying is that one person got in from york as compared to the rest of the class that was uoft and uwo among others.

I did my undergrad at UofT, got into both UWO and UofT dents, decided to do UWO dents over UofT so that I could party ;)

If I were to do it again, I'd go to an easier undergrad school. UofT was tough, but if you can succeed there then you can succeed anywhere.

Guest tamkhan1

i know uoft had atleast 1/3rd of their class, full of yorku students, in 2004.

i personally think york is the way to go..even if ure einstein, go to york!! :rollin ...u cant possibly go wrong, at york! at uoft, u neve know..hehe

Guest Hugo69

I agree with tamkhan1, if you want an easier time at getting high marks then go to York. If you want to struggle then go to UofT. Simple as that. But I'm sure having a York degree without getting into a professional program will not open too many doors as opposed to a UofT degree. Then again, nowadays bachelor degrees are not even worth the paper they're printed on.

Guest zohaibab

Hugo,

What are you basing your statements on? Students "not prepared" for dental schools at York but are prepared at U of T? Give me a freakin' break! What do they tell you to drill mice teeth in physiology courses at U of T or something :lol ? None of the undergrad programs actually "prepare" you for professional programs; U of T might toughen you up yes, but York would tell you everything that U of T will tell you as well. And it's all about getting into the professional school on these forums, isn't it? Good day.

Guest predentalguy

zohabaiab

i think your missing something... Everyone has this vision that when you get into dentistry all your gonna be doing is drillin etc... people dont seem to realize that before you do any of that stuff your going to take courses like genetics, physio, anatomy etc... now if someone gets a very good GPA at uoft and has taken those courses... chances are they have a better background then someone from york... and i dont mean to be onesided here.. but its true .. so what i mean is that someone can be better suited for courses in dentistry if they have completed a challenging and relevant undergrad.

By the way i only speak for science undergrads here... i know york has an excellent business program that attracts some of the brightest minds... making the same case above for business wont work.

cheers

OS

Guest whitestrip

thanks predental, you just elaborated the point i was struggling to get across.

we're not here to debate on school rankings..I thought it was completely wrong to misguide people (advice them to join a school just to boost their GPA)

I rather recommend them to join a school where they'll be faced with challenges, and hence, become academically sound.

Guest zohaibab

Predental guy,

That is what I was trying to get across. Every school has genetics, physio, anatomy etc. I don't know how the lack of being "challenged" through insanely hard exams and assignments at a particular school would stop a bright student from doing well in dentistry. Even York has students who will go the distance and look for material relevant to these courses just for their own interest and not because they would be tested on it. Whether a student is at York or working his ass off for a "challenging" program at U of T, critical thinking and commitment is the key and any student with these attributes should be able to do just fine in a professional program. It's quite easy to blame York's biology program for being "oh so easy", what I would be interested in are actual statistics that prove more students from York have dropped out from professional programs than any other university. If not, people should keep quiet and stop misguiding other fellow predents. Cheers.

Guest zohaibab

Whitestrip,

Did you "hear from your friends" how the science programs at York are not challenging enough :lol ? Trust me, it's not as easy as it sounds. Taking a summer course here and there is not the best way to judge a program, is it? U of T inherently have to carry out the process of elimination for life sciences, thus the "challenging" syllabi. I'm sure even other universities (including York) would do the same if there were 2000 odd people attending a first year biology class! Take it easy.

Guest tamkhan1

shucks, man..do you go to york? ure like totally defending york..this is another trait that yorku students posses..defending their university, cuz everyone else in the whole damn world just keeps dissing it every now and then. aahh..tough job, mate..ull prolly have to defend it a million times over..:b

Guest tamkhan1

im just playin around, man. dont take it to heart.

yorku students always make it to top dental schools, like uoft and uwo. so, that speaks out for itself.

take it easy, bro. no hard feelings;)

Guest zohaibab

Tamkhan1,

I go to York and I have nothing to be ashamed of. "Dissing" it in good fun is OK with me, but misguiding other students based on what you have heard from friends at York is not appropriate. Every university possesses bright students, and insanely tricky multiple choice questions on "challenging" exams at U of T are not the only methods to judge an individual's intellect. I don't blame you if it's your first year at university, you will find out eventually.

Whitestrips, I apologize for the "hearing it from friends" comment above. Good luck studying for 3120 :) !

Guest zohaibab

BeEasyy,

Are there more mature students like you from oh-so-challenging U of T around here, or are you the only one? Nice work there with the play on words. Cute. Really.

Guest Tbablani

hahaha, keep it up BeEasy, well said !!

how about you enlighten all of us with some more sesame street rhymes your school educated you with :lol

Guest uoft Chemistry

Hey guys,

if ur directing at one person then be straight....but whats w/ UofT jokes?........UofT didn't get it's reputation for nothing.....We don't hold the #1 ranking in Canada for almost every faculty for nothing....and UofT doesn't hold the top funding in every division for over 50 years.....(i.e. CIHR, NSERC etc.....)....We aren't just the DAM biggest School in this country for Zip................What school do you champs attend???.......I'm sure its just well respected as UofT.......

and I'm sure BeEASY was just kidding around.......

Guest tamkhan1

guys, c'mon, we seriously need to stop this BS.

every uni has its pros and cons. if u can fit in, ure good.

there will always be certain notions attached to uoft or york or mac or any other uni, for that matter. no matter how much you diss or defend, people will always carry those impressions in their minds.

Guest zohaibab

U of T chemistry,

I guess your school didn't help you brush up your reading skills much. BeEasy and other kids started with the immature comments. I actually stated that there was no need to stoop to their level and make comments about U of T. Maybe reading the posts carefully would be better next time, Ok champ? Regards.

Guest uoft Chemistry

Hey,

Well I'm not so sure about your comments, What i'm sure is that my school has helped me with skills to gain an interview to everywhere I applied (and proab acceptances come April 28th) yes my skills in reading is poor since I received a 28 on reading com of the DAT and 13 on MCAT VR.....but yah u have a point, uft only trains MOST of our graduates to go into dentistry and medicine..............but yah it's only our science that is ok right?........like my reading your talking about, I'm sure i still need improvements, but come april 28th when those acceptances letter comes I'll be waiting for your post and see what your great reading skills has accomplished for you "Champ"...

Bets of luck.

Archived