Premed 101 Forums

Queen's University

Guest acci Dentist

Guest acci Dentist

Does anyone know if any Dental schools give preference to applicants from Queen's University. I have heard some rumors but i would like confirmation.

Are there any Queen's students here?

Guest Audio

now, of course Queens is a good school but come on. UofT and Western don't give preference to their own damn students...you expect them to give Queens students bonus points. Not bloody likely

Guest uoft2005

man.. don't listen to these fools acci_dentist..

Queens applicants usually get around 5-10 bonus marks.

That's pretty awesome.. I ONLY wish I went to Queens instead of going to U of T and taking @#%$ easy biochemistry courses..:rolleyes :rolleyes

Guest acci Dentist

Well, i heard from students from Queen's who are now in dental school. I was skeptical at first but after having received interviews to western and Toronto, i think it may be true.

I do not have any years with an average over 80, my best year is a 79

Guest tamkhan1

but wait, do they really get bonus. if theres anyone who should be getting bonus points, its uoftians..hell, we work our ass off and still have to put up with c+ and b- averages! and we're not dumb!!:lol

Guest uoft Chemistry

Dam....all these years at UofT taking all thos organic, mircobio, biochem, genetics for absolutely ZIP, guys ur all right!!!...we were here for nothing.....Queens should have been the right road eh?????.................

I'm sure Queen Eliz did give them that special blessing right?

Guest shann

Here's a story from my buddy in pharmacy:

He did his undergrad in Queen's...came to UT (he was hoping to get into meds, but just used pharmacy as his backup)...took our first year orgo chem and second year orgo chem...went from getting a mid 90 in queen's first year chem....and ended up with mid 60's in orgo chem I and II at UT...

Maybe he had a bad year, maybe UT is indeed harder...

all I'm saying is that no university is given special preferences for any kind of professional program like dentistry (unless you're at McGill and go to the states).

Guest Tonick

In all U.S interviews I've been to, the Canadians are either from U of T, Queens or McGill. I've never come across students from other CDN undergrad schools, so that says something. All 3 are good enough to be recognized as top schools stateside. My Columbia interviewer actually mentioned that "U of T is a terrific school and I know it's very difficult to get high grades there."

Guest Audio

at my Harvard interview, i was told that UofT is known to train her undergrads well in the sciences and the UofT students that are admitted every year to Harvard do very very well.

Guest acci Dentist

Well, who knows perhaps they lowered their cutoffs this year

btw a friend of mine transferred to Queens from U of T in second year and he went from 85s to mid to low 70s. So i wouldn't really say UofT is a much harder school.

There are too many variables (majors, social factors, atmosphere etc)

Nevertheless, i jsut would like to know if anyone else has stats similar to mine with an interview

Guest puncho

I'm from Queen's, and have a similar % as you. Just curious...what's your DAT scores?

If I had all the pre-reqs I would've applied to some Canadian schools along w/ American ones. :|

Guest Dent08

If someone has decided they want to be a dentist before they started undergrad, would they be smarter to ...

Go someplace like Queens or U of T where they will have to bust their assses to compete against 100's of people in their science pre-reqs and end up with ok marks.

or ...

Should they go to a smaller university that isn't as science focused. The classes are smaller. There is less competition, and you can get perfect marks with less effort.

There are dentistry students in schools across Canada that got in by taking their pre-reqs at the local community college, while people of equal intelligence from Queens and U of T got turned away. It's all about marks. Why are people in this thread bragging that their school is harder? Why would you think any school would get preferential treatment? You chose to be scaled against a more competitive crowd.

I bet there are a lot of people who screwed themselves over by going to a "harder" school.

Guest tamkhan1

true, but theres def. some preference given to 'harder' unis. on the omsas scale, an 85% at york uni counts for only 3.7 points, whereas for uoft and other unis, it counts for a full 4.0.

Archived