Premed 101 Forums

Bad prerequisites grades :( but still want a pharmD (uAlberta)

hopefulpharmd

As the title says, some of my prerequisites grades are really poor. I did take higher level courses and did better but I am still scared that those grades will get me an immediate rejection. If all goes well in the next 2 years, I should have a gpa of 3.7 (for the last 60 credits). My GPA for my prerequisite courses is very low so I'm terrified that that wont even give me a shot. I have wanted to do pharmacy since high school and after I received some bad grades, I decided it wasn't worth applying. But, recently I have been thinking about it and realized that this is still my passion and what I want. I truly don't even know what I want to do besides pharm, and that is really stressing me out. If anybody has been in a similar situation or has any advice to impart, please let me know. :(

On 2/4/2022 at 2:01 AM, hopefulpharmd said:

As the title says, some of my prerequisites grades are really poor. I did take higher level courses and did better but I am still scared that those grades will get me an immediate rejection. If all goes well in the next 2 years, I should have a gpa of 3.7 (for the last 60 credits). My GPA for my prerequisite courses is very low so I'm terrified that that wont even give me a shot. I have wanted to do pharmacy since high school and after I received some bad grades, I decided it wasn't worth applying. But, recently I have been thinking about it and realized that this is still my passion and what I want. I truly don't even know what I want to do besides pharm, and that is really stressing me out. If anybody has been in a similar situation or has any advice to impart, please let me know. :(

How bad are the grades? I'd say with a 3.7 gpa you'd definitely have a chance! What are some other things you do beside school, as in extracurriculars / volunteering / work? Although grades are important, admission is not based solely on grades, so please don't get discouraged! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 1:01 AM, hopefulpharmd said:

I am in your exact situation. Bad grades and didn't think it was possible and now finally taking higher level prerequisites. Which hard because I took the first year ones so long ago. I haven't taken Physiology yet so I'm taking that next year and planning to apply for September 2023 admission. 

I know that if you re-do a prerequisite at the higher level, they only count the higher mark in the prerequisite GPA calculation.