Premed 101 Forums

reference letters (states schools)

Guest docgurp

Guest Adversary

Umm.. good luck with that. I don't know if they are willing to spend 30 minutes looking over stuff for someone who they have never met in person. It's not the best way to go....

Guest Bug2ooth

Hey,

My kaplan instructor went to queens and she just finished her first year in western dental school. She told me that she did the same thing and it worked for. She said that she got really good references from them. All she did was put a portfolio together. I've never tried it but this is what she recommended to me.

Guest Adversary

Well, I am quite surprised it would work. Perhaps I may just be speaking for the profs at ubc. I have friends who asked profs who barely knew them for ref letters and they told me that the letters weren't very good. They found out when they reviewed their files. No, they didn't get to see their letters, but they were told one thing they should improve is the refs.

My suggestion is to do it if you don't have a choice, but it's definitely not the best route.

Oh yeah, two things. BUg2ooth's instructor may have been an outstanding student, ie. number 1 or top 5 in the class, so would get a good ref based on performance. However, if you aren't among that group and if they don't really know you, how far do you think they will go for you.

Second thing, I am not sure whether you meant that she also got into other dental schools with the refs, but I know that UWO does not require reference letters. I just applied and got accepted. It's a 10 minutes application that basically asks for your name, address, employment history, school attending, and pre-req courses, etc. No references required.

Guest Bug2ooth

i agree with adversary!!!

the portfolio method is not the best method to go. I mean i go to UFT and the class sizes are huge. But i have found various ways to make an effort to get to know my profs.

Guest Adversary

I don't mean to say it won't work. I only meant it's not an option to choose if there are other choices. I got mine through my involvement in clubs and research. I was quite lucky to get strong ones from profs.

Note: when asking for a reference, ask if they can give you a STRONG ref. You might end up with a @#%$ one if you just ask for a ref alone.

Archived