Premed 101 Forums

Should I just shoot myself now

Guest bigtooth

Guest bigtooth

Hey guys, I just discovered this forum, and I must say, I wish I knew about this earlier...say prior taking my DAT.

Anyways, just wanna know if I got a chance at either UofT or Western with these marks. (I know there are probably hundreds of threads out there with people posting similar marks and I can probably just do some comparing, but I'm new and I'm neurotic.)

My GPA is 3.88, 89%.

DAT score:

Carving: 15

Perceptual: 18

Reading: 20

Chem: 22

Bio: 21

Can someone please be extremely blunt and brutally honest? I really need to know if I'm setting myself up for a major disappointment.

THANKS.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gattuso19

Here is blunt for you,

You are above average in every category for both Toronto and Western. If you are being completely honest with your resutls and gpa then there is no reason why you should not receive both interviews. Just for western make sure you have 2 academic years both over 80%.

UofT averages last year:

GPA - 3.84

PA - 18

Academic Average - 20 (yours is 21)

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

yeah you shoudl probably shoot yourself. I don't know if you are for real or if you are here to have people tell you how good you are. What if I told you, to give me ur name and i'll make sure you get rejected? Would that help you decide to blow your brains out?

Having said that....the only way you can possibly get rejected is if you really screw up your interview. With stats like that, you will get in for sure. People don't realize that you don't need perfection to guarantee anything because nothing in this world is a guarantee, unless of course the Dean of Admissions tells you they are going to take you before you even apply...

But by all means, go shoot yourself, at least it will give others a better chance of getting in.

^ I agree with Gattsuo.

Those are pretty competitive numbers you have (can we exchange GPA's :P). Anyway, I think you should have more confidence in yourself. As long as you don't bomb the interview, you should be just fine! :)

Guest predentalguy

ya ur so in man.. i wish i had those numbers.. ahha... as long as u dont say something really dumb in ur interview and keep it simple i think ull be aright...

i know i got waitlisted last year at western... and i finished at the "top" of that waitlist and my 2 year average was 81.8. this year will perhaps be more difficult with the double cohort (slightly more apps), but you are well above the average of acceptance which was an 84.47 last year.

cheers

Guest Gattuso19

I know of someone getting both UWO and UofT without the aid of a waitlist and they had a GPA of 3.75 and mediocre DAT results.

The other thing you have to realize is that when they state an average of 3.84 (UofT for example), that means that if a person with a 3.94 got in, then a person with a 3.74 got in too, or two people with an average around 3.78 or 3 people with an average around 3.8. The average in a lot of cases can be misleading.

Either way, you should have a very strong chance unless you have trouble speaking to people face to face and cannot speak worth beans.

Guest BeEasyy

well, I got waitlisted last year at number 41 for U of T last year (the only university I applied)... I have a masters degree, with cumulative GPA 3.88, and DAT AA 18 and PA 19 and my interview was average of ppl who got in. I have come to know that at least in U of T, luck plays a big role. Whatever it was, I think I was truly out of luck last year.

Guest Gattuso19

Beeassy, your marks are high and your DAT isn't bad which must mean that your interview wasn't that great (not trying to be offensive). You do not find out your interview score do you? and how many people usually make the waiting list?

I talked to admissions a couple of months ago and the main difference they said with the initial offers of acceptance and those that came of the waiting list was their interview scores, other than that the gpa's between the two groups didn't differ as much.

And I agree with the luck comment. In any professional application in which there is even the smallest hint of subjectivity (ie interview), luck will inevitably play an unwelcomed role.

Guest BeEasyy

I did not get admitted last year. The waitlist came up to number 38 I believe...I was able to clearly see what grades I was given in the interview (I was seated very close to the interviewers) and the average of the two interviewers came out to be about 27 or 28, I believe, which is just a litttle below the average of the interviews.

Considering the range of DAT scores and the mean GPA, ppl with much lower DAT and GPA got the admission, and I really can't say I blew up the interview either. when I inquired, they did not give me clear answer as to why I was waitlisted either, they said "there was hardly any difference between person number 1 and number 100, and we can't really tell you what was not as great about your application"!

So, I think you just gotta do your best and then cross your fingers and legs and every movable part of your body... make sure to give a lot of change to the beggers too :P

Best..

Guest Gattuso19

Looks like you really missed it by a margin. People have told me that the interviewers sit extremely close to the point you can see both of their marks. Really though, how close is this? A few feet?

when you say no difference between 1 and 100, you mean the waitlist?

And with marks like that you should get in this year I bet.

Hey guys,

When my father went to dental school he said that the general rule of thumb was that if you got waitlisted and applied again the next year you got in. Mind you this was for Western back in the early 80's when they didn't have interviews...Just something to think about

Guest BeEasyy

By person 1 to 100 she meant the admitted and waitlisted collectively. But what difference does it make? they were basically implying that they can't find anything wrong that they can put their finger on... about waitlisting stuff, I have heard about it from a few people too, but not sure if it is true. There is another thread about this issue of 2nd round of application and how most ppl who apply second time after being waitlisted get in 2nd time. Other issues play a role as well...

best..

Guest ChinaMan2004

To back up what BeEassy was saying, this happened to me last year, too. I applied only to U of T as that's all my courses could allow, had a GPA of 3.81, AA 22, PAT 21...and i also got waitlisted at 49th... I was told that my interview was slightly below the average (altho i dunno how slightly it meant...:rollin ), but yeah, ended up losing it....

I noticed my GPA and interview were both lower, even tho my DAT could bring me some credits, obviously it wasn't enuff....

So i don't know, i think interview really plays a big part....but for anyone who is applying for their first time, and having their finger severely intertwined...just relax and do your best! And I am sure if luck doesn't serve you right this time, it will next year! (happened to me this year!! i had 3 questions in my UBC interview last week being similiar if not exactly the same to the ones I got last year in U of T!!!!!)....Just do all you can!!!

all the best

and Out~

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

ok here's a more constructive comment, i was just goofing around earlier.

It's not what you say but how you say it. Put it this way, dentistry you have to interact with people, you have to look professional, act confident, and know how to answer your interview questions, in other words have tact and demonstrate that you think before you speak.

A lot of people are book smart, but you need to be more than book smart to succeed. Your interview really determines if you get in. There is no formula...that's just propaganda. Coz I can tell you, many of my classmates didn't even have these stats, we had like the lowest grades and stats for a past few years, esp in first year...we have the lowest average in first year GPA compared to the rest of the school.

My class though, they are good looking people, well spoken, intelligent, atheletic, known as the slackers,...other than the second years.. ( it skips every year).

Guest bebostyle

as much as i hate to say this , the chosen one is right on a lot of what he's saying, yes its pure blunt..but its true...who would you pick? the well spoken goodlooking guy or the mumbling idiot?

Guest Gattuso19

I know UofT doesn't explicity say this anyway but how much weighting goes toward the interview for final admissions?

The above is true, I talked to an interviewer for medical school and he said that in the end, there are so many people that are on even grounds and they go back to the "comments" you wrote down during the interview and their overall interview mark to make a decision.

I've heard of people looking at the roof when answering or even answering a situational question in one line! If I get an interview, I am going to try not to sound robotic, redundant or plain old stupid.

Choosenone - what school do you go to and how was your interview? you seem like a confident person...they probably loved it after all these nerds they get.

Guest johnwoo19

hey thechosenone, do undergrad marks matter for specialization? like if you get into dent school should you care about your marks for the rest of the year?

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

dude i dunno may be, may be not, they asked for them... THey looked at my board scores, my marks in dental school are decent, and I had an interview did well. To be honest, in my first year, i didn't give a f*ck about how well i did.

Oh when I got into dental school, see i applied to harvard, columbia, etc. got into all those american ones, so i stopped trying after december when i got in. But I had really easy courses so i just cheated off my roomate for the multiple choice and or bum notes from these girls i know, memorized them for the exam and that's it. I didn't care, just didn't want to fail...so by the time I was interviewed for U of T I didn't care....I just went in, talked a bit of garbage, got in and that was that. I lied my ass off in the interview. You just gotta be consistent.

Now I took the oral surgery interview seriously because it's something I want to pursue, especially seeing what my dad did. May be I just had an advantage because I know what oral surg is like (my dad is an oral surgeon). My dad went to Columbia so I was like ok, it's a good school I'll go as well. To be honest, they loved me there. I got into other schools as well but why not be treated better...

Archived