Premed 101 Forums

Radiology vs Internal Medicine

As the title suggests I am torn between these two specialties. I understand that in Radiology I will need to do fellowship to secure employment. If I do Internal Medicine I am hoping to match to Endocrinology or Allergy. Any comments on the job market and lifestyle for both fields? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Those are very different specialties. What do you like about them?

In general radiology has longer training, works more, but makes more money.

You'll find a job in any of the fields you mentioned. For endo/allergy there are no equipment bottlenecks for their outpatient practices and you could do GIM work to supplement yourself if you wanted. For radiology there is a growing reliance on imaging accomplish what was previously done by a clinical exam or trial of treatment/observation.

2 hours ago, 1D7 said:

Those are very different specialties. What do you like about them?

In general radiology has longer training, works more, but makes more money.

You'll find a job in any of the fields you mentioned. For endo/allergy there are no equipment bottlenecks for their outpatient practices and you could do GIM work to supplement yourself if you wanted. For radiology there is a growing reliance on imaging accomplish what was previously done by a clinical exam or trial of treatment/observation.

Thank you so much for this reply. I like radiology more, but I am worried about the job market/reliance on hospital resources to find a job, which makes me lean towards IM for that reason.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 7:20 PM, samsan said:

Thank you so much for this reply. I like radiology more, but I am worried about the job market/reliance on hospital resources to find a job, which makes me lean towards IM for that reason.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about that. If things become problematic for you here you can always go to the USA as a radiologist.