Premed 101 Forums

Toronto Base Hospitals

Any advise/opinions on the different Toronto Base Hospitals for IM residency? Specifically:

-What are the patient populations like

-Working hours/call schedule

-Collegiality between staff/residents

-Major pros/cons

I am from out of province and have very little details about the different sites so I appreciate any help I can get!

On 4/13/2022 at 10:54 AM, Lilyflowers said:

Any advise/opinions on the different Toronto Base Hospitals for IM residency? Specifically:

-What are the patient populations like

-Working hours/call schedule

-Collegiality between staff/residents

-Major pros/cons

I am from out of province and have very little details about the different sites so I appreciate any help I can get!

Former resident here, and although based at only two sites, I did rotations at all the sites, and was actually able to do GIM call at all sites as both a JMR and SMR.

all sites are fine and you will get good training where-ever you end up. Many people rank the closer University Ave Hospitals (UHN, SHS) higher due to location. Also although you might be based at one site each year you can rotate anywhere really (I was based at SMH, UHN for PGY1 and 2 respectively, and still did 1-2 rotations at SBK each year).

The call schedule and hours are the same everywhere, some sites have notoriously busy calls (such as TGH, SBK) where others have more tame ones (SHS), but I've had busy calls and quiet calls everywhere. Collegiality between staff/residents is equal to everywhere tbh as you're all still in the UofT system.

The one difference is between the patient populations/demographics, as outline below:

Patient population-

SMH- services a good chunk of patients are from the less well off areas of the downtown core (read: shelters, low income housing etc...), I would say slightly more diverse than other sites (i.e. more minorities).

TGH- services PMH's cancer population, so lot of patients will be associated with that (although they have a cancer team I believe that takes most of those patients)

TWH- you'll see more of your bread and butter GIM patient population (read: old), many from little Portugal/Italy.

SBK-  you'll see more well off (read: socioeconomically wealthy) older patients.

SHS- similar to TWH/SBK in terms of patient demographics

Hope this helps

2 hours ago, ACHQ said:

Former resident here, and although based at only two sites, I did rotations at all the sites, and was actually able to do GIM call at all sites as both a JMR and SMR.

all sites are fine and you will get good training where-ever you end up. Many people rank the closer University Ave Hospitals (UHN, SHS) higher due to location. Also although you might be based at one site each year you can rotate anywhere really (I was based at SMH, UHN for PGY1 and 2 respectively, and still did 1-2 rotations at SBK each year).

The call schedule and hours are the same everywhere, some sites have notoriously busy calls (such as TGH, SBK) where others have more tame ones (SHS), but I've had busy calls and quiet calls everywhere. Collegiality between staff/residents is equal to everywhere tbh as you're all still in the UofT system.

The one difference is between the patient populations/demographics, as outline below:

Patient population-

SMH a good chunk of patients are from the less well off areas of the downtown core (read: shelters, low income housing etc...), I would say slightly more diverse than other sites (i.e. more minorities).

TGH services PMH's cancer population, so lot of patients will be associated with that (although they have a cancer team I believe that takes most of those patients)

TWH you'll more of your bread and butter GIM patient population (read: old), many from little Portugal/Italy.

SBK  more well off (read: socioeconomically) older patients.

SHS similar to TWH/SBK in terms of patient demographics

Hope this helps

Thank you so much, that helps a lot!!