Premed 101 Forums

PharmD ualberta - major support needed

Reposting my reply from another forum, if you can help would be much appreciated: 

"Yo, lets say I bombed my first two years of undergrad <2.5 GPA and then in my last 2 years I have around a 3.5/3.6 60 credit GPA and a 2.8/2.9 ish prereq GPA. What are my chances on admission homies? Anyone you know gotten in with stats like this? Also, anyone know how many people are typically in the cycle and how many are accepted per year"?

Life support needed like I'm NBA young boy 

On 4/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, BobBuffaloMarley99 said:

Reposting my reply from another forum, if you can help would be much appreciated: 

"Yo, lets say I bombed my first two years of undergrad <2.5 GPA and then in my last 2 years I have around a 3.5/3.6 60 credit GPA and a 2.8/2.9 ish prereq GPA. What are my chances on admission homies? Anyone you know gotten in with stats like this? Also, anyone know how many people are typically in the cycle and how many are accepted per year"?

Life support needed like I'm NBA young boy 

What's your overall GPA?  

As far as pre-reqs go, as per their Q&A section: ''If I didn't do well in a Pharmacy prerequisite, should I retake the class? 
If you did not do as well as you wanted in a pharmacy prerequisite, but still passed, you take the next level up in that subject area. When calculating the GPA for the required courses, we use the better grade. For example, Biology 107 -> Biology 207. You cannot retake a course that you did not fail; even if you are taking the equivalent of that course at another institution. It will be considered a repeat and ignored.'' 

So, I would suggest taking the next level up of the courses you did poorly in. Pre-req courses are usually a pretty good indication of wether someone would do well in pharmacy, especially when you get slammed with med chem and all the pharmacology courses, so I'd say that pre-req GPA is pretty important.  If you read up on previous forums, some people got in with GPA's as low as 3.2, or just above 3.1, so there's definitely a chance if you can work on your pre-reqs! 

Typically, they accept 130 students per year. Unsure about the number of applicants tho, as they don't release that info online. 

Your EC's sound pretty good to me tho, and would definitely help your application. Again, I'd suggest working on the pre-req GPA if you can! :) 

On 5/2/2022 at 7:30 PM, BobBuffaloMarley99 said:

Thank you so much for the response @ak24! I'll consider taking some of the next level up subjects in order to improve my prereq GPA further. Thank you for all the insight, I appreciate you taking the time for this. 

You are welcome! I honestly did not have perfect stats by any stretch of imagination, so I know the struggle. Message me if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help! :)