Premed 101 Forums

What's your backup?

Guest MacStudent

Guest slysniper

Well, I already have a degree, so I just keep on working and applying, upgrading courses, writing DAT again, and pretty much force myself into dental school by either making the admission comittee feel bad for me or so sick of seeing my application every year that they ll let me in. :rollin :smokin

Guest slysniper

To be honest with you it is my first time applying and I hope I get in the first time, but if not then it ll be the "force my way into dental school" plan. :smokin

Guest wishywish82

I know a physician who applied to med school 3 times. He had @#%$ grades in undergrad and had to go back to high school to even get into undergrad. He did a PhD in 3 yrs and finally got into med, and now he's a neurosurgeon lol

There is no shame in hard, honest work no matter where it takes place. The most important thing is that solid family support exists, that's enabled you to get to this point in your education.

Guest wishywish82

Read the not i wrote above guys, it's all doable!! I know people in med school with like 2 kids under 5, and people who have applied like 5 times to get in.

If it's what you want go after it.

Thats a positive attitude.

Realistically the majority of people who continue to apply to dental school never become dentists. Applicants should look at their GPA and DAT scores and compare them with the admissions stats that are posted on the sites of the schools they are applying to.

Guest Adversary

What Dent08 is mostly true. That is, if you are applying to the same school over and over again. Each school has a different set of standards, ie. Best 2 years, overall avg, last 2 years, etc. Thus, if one does not accept you, try the others.

I can tell you that in my class, there is at least one person who didn't even get an interview last year. So try again for sure! However, what Dent08 said is true in the sense that almost all my colleagues are first-time applicants. In fact, I am not aware of any +2 applicants in my class.

Dentistry admissions is unlike Medicine where you can tweak with your extracurriculars, etc. Dentistry has a greater focus on grades and standardized exam scores. Moreover, for some schools, there is a limited number of interviews. At UBC, you can only be offered an interview twice. The admissions chair once told me it was because they believed if you don't have the "life skills" now and after 2 interviews, you will never have them.

Guest slysniper

Im afraid I have to disagree with you guys on this matter. I know people who have been trying for many times and they finally got in. A friend of mine who recently graduated from UoA dental applied 5 times before he got in (he ended up getting masters before he getting in) or I know another guy who got in when he was in his 30s at UoS.

I know that most people who get in have written DAT once or twice and got in the first time or second. But, there are always people who get after trying many times (a mintority of course).

Also, you can always upgarde your marks by taking higher level courses and retake DAT to increase your chances to get in.

Archived