Premed 101 Forums

What schools do everyone want to get into?

Guest orlinmyer

In the states, Harvard or Buffalo. In Canada, UofT, then Western.

PS I just got accepted to UPenn today. It's thought to be the best overall dental school in the US...they claim in the world.

Audio congrats on your offer. Would you mind sharing what your GPA and DAT scores were? (just a range). I've applied there as well and would like to know what constitutes a competitive profile this year.

Cheers.

thanks guys. I have an overall GPA of 3.71 but that includes a year at 3.4. I took the US DAT in August so I could get my application in early. It would have been kinda late if i waited for the Nov. 2005 DAT results to get to US schools. Remember, they have rolling admissions. My US DAT scores were 21/21/20 AA/TS/PAT. I also interviewed at Harvard last week.

i'd rather get into a school close to Toronto like UT, Western or Buffalo but hey, you can't go wrong with Harvard or UPenn.

Good luck guys!

Guest toothy1985

hye audio, congrats! I was wondering if u can write the American DAT in canda, like at some place or did u have to travel to US for that? Secondly, if I were to write the feb dat and apply next fall for US schools, is that a good idea? I Havent had the time to study for the DAT.... so I do not want to write in FEB, when is the US DAT offered... thanks !!!!>:

the US DAT is offered almost any day of the week and it's on computer. You have to travel to the US. I drove down to Buffalo (1hr drive) and wrote it. You get your marks on the spot! If you write the Feb DAT, then you could use that for US schools for the next application cycle. The most important thing about applying to US schools is getting your application in as early as possible....i.e. in June!

Guest wishywish82

yeah the rolling admissions and on the spot DAT mark really make dentistry in US appealing, only if it didn't cost 2X as much as it does in Canada and only if Canadian student loans would back ya.

Yea. It seems as though a lot if people use US schools as a backup if they don't get accepted to Canadian dental schools.

They can be easier to get into but seem to cost an arm and a leg.

I think the facilities at US schools are generally better than at Canadian schools and this has to do with the fact that they cost more. Also, you can make A LOT more money in the states so if you go to school in the states, you can work there for a couple years and pay back your loan faster. Even going back to Canada and paying your loan back isn't a big deal because dentists make decent money right out of school. I think if cost wasn't an issue, then US schools in general provide a better education that Canadian ones. I'm just really impressed with some of the facilities at the American schools. I mean, look at Case's sim lab or Buffalo's clinics.

Guest power2005

I only applied to Dal this year as I am a third year student. Not really expecting to get in, but I would like an interview to get to feel it out lol.

What is the basis of getting an interview? GPA and DAT scores only? Or do they select before the interview stage? Do they "select" at all or is it all ranking based on GPA, DAT and interview scores???

Guest wishywish82

Dal punches your grades & DAT scores into a comp. Out of the ~100 Atlantic Canadian apps they inverview ~60 for ~30 spots based upon grades and DAT scores.

In the past most with a 3.5+ from Atlantic Canada have gotten interviews.

Guest slysniper

You see, I rather go to UBC than go south, cuz as Audio said it costs more in states. I agree that maybe education is better, but to me this is like the ordeal high school stdeunts have before picking a university. In the end, you have a BSc that you can either work with or use it to get into professional schools.

I believe it does not matter where you get your degree (well, maybe for specilization after). As for dental skills go, you would sharpne them by practicing after graduation. However, in the end it all comes down to your social skills and patients care to attract the patients rather than your framed degree from some fancy university.

Archived