Premed 101 Forums

Which book to Use?

Guest dentists

Guest dentists

I am going to be writing DAT this feburary..I am aware that there are several books out there one can study from...From your experiences, which book covers best the material on DAT

Thanx in advance

Guest iknowabc123

i might be taking the dat next novermber....reading these forums i've heard that barron's is not good at all...and that kaplan seems to be the best..which is odd because for medical school kaplan is not that great princeton is much better...but i don't know why...I know there are some differences in the MCAT and the DAT and sometimes i even hear that the DAT is simpler then the MCAT so i find it strange it's good for one and not the other...strange

well anyways i'm just rambling on!

:)

Well as far as studying went for the sciences I used the Kaplan (MCAT) Biology and Chemistry books. The DAT Kaplan book is not detailed enough in my opinion. However, u do need to know that the biology tested on the MCAT does not cover some stuff that will be on the DAT (taxonomy, stuff on invert, etc). So supplement for those.

Practice stuff I used IQ publications. In my opinion there simply are not enough practice materials out there for the DAT. I never took a Kaplan course but would suggest to take them cause you won't find practice exam questions that easily.

Get all forms of the IQ publications. You can do PAT over and over again....normally you won't remember the answers except for the folding. Hope that helps.

ps. for reading you should just get used to reading articles/news paper/books on a daily basis.

ps. carving just come up with your own designs. Some of the ones in practice books are ridiculous and will never be on the exam.

Guest MacStudent

Reading: 1001 Q's in verbal reasoning. (MCAT)

Science: Schaum's outline of biology & Schaum's Outline of college chemistry. Use the dat brochure to eliminate the sections you don't need to study...will save you ~ 100 pgs of reading

Perceptual Ability: Learned to solve a 3x3x3 rubiks cube. really helps!!!!

Carving: candles.

all the best

Guest shesallDAT

Ok, well, I haven't got my DAT score yet, but here's what I used:

Biology and Chemistry: Barron's in combination with my old Bio/Chem university books. I found that Barron's hit the key points and I probably would have done pretty well on the exam using just that. But, then again, I do have a lot of background knowledge (I'm a bio/biochem major). Also IQ books for practice tests.

Reading: Practice sections from Kaplan, IQ, and some harsh old DAT prep books in the library. I also used my brother's Grade 12 English lit text. They outlined a lot of historical details in long passages, and asked comprehension questions at the end. The passages were 3-4 times longer than the DAT, and I used them to build up speed and endurance. Picking up a used lit text for cheap (or from a high school sibling) might be a good option.

Perception: Kaplan, Barron's for strategy, IQ. Nuff said.

Carving: IQ all the way, with the real DAT soaps. I didn't practice the strange designs, though. I just did the decent-looking ones over and over again (sometimes changing the measurements or combining patterns). Practice makes perfect.

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Datbooks

I have some DAT books for sale in Calgary.

Kaplan DAT book with CD for $60

Barron's How to prepare for the DAT $20

IQ publications - How to prepare for the carving $35

IQ publications - perceptual ability test, form B $20

If you're interested, you can email me at datbooks@gmail.com.

Guest wishywish82

Carving-IQ

Science-MCAT book more thourogh but Barron's shows you the material missing you can cover that yourself.

PAT- Barron's

Reading-Barron's

Carve like mad and do it at weird hours when u'd normally be sleeping. On the DAT day you'll be glad you did b/c it's a mess to sleep before a test like that.

And if you feel like you have a good general knowledge of science related material from undergrad that always helps, for example there were questions I took in classes years ago that I was still able to remember

Archived