Premed 101 Forums

Why is UBC Dentistry Program so expensive?

Guest qw1222

Guest slysniper

I totally agree with you guys. But, what I wonder is how UBC dent students do it? Seriusly think about it, it is 45 a year and I believe the max loan you can get is 30. So, that leaves 15 to line of credit. Now, how about living in Vancouver, which is pretty pricey?

So, I wonder how UBC dent students do it. Please reply if you are one or if you know someone who goes to UBC.

Thanks

actually, UBC is not the only dental school to make a profit. UofT has the highest profit which is also the reason why it has the lowest tuition in the country. The reason why is that UofT has a full 250+ chair clinic plus and thats not even including the huge paedo, perio, endo clinics. UBC charges such a high rate because they almost get zero funding from the BC government and they have not much of a clinic exposure either.

This is why UBC goes through like 100 people on their waitlist everyyear and at the end people with 3.0's can get in if daddy can pay for it...

In a recent article in the Calgary Herald, the U of T dental school was one they reported as losing large amounts of money. They said UBC was the only school in Canada turning a profit.

Why are you under the impression that U of T has the "lowest tuition in the country"?

$18,000 /year + kit is far from the lowest. UofA is a scratch lower. Dalhousie is 12k, McGill is 10k for OOP and as low as 6k for in province.

www.utoronto.ca/dentistry...mmary.html

I also heard something about that article that Dent08 is talking about, UBC is the only dent program in the country that breaks even, UofT doesn't make a profit on their clinics

It depends on what your definition of profit is. UofT makes alot of money from its clinics, which is used to pay for its research, specialties, and etc...if other university offered the same type of experience to their students, it would charge much more tuition than UofT is. there is a reason why UBC is dead last in dental ratings and reputation. Dont get me wrong, im not saying UofT is the best. I am jsut saying that with regards to dental school you DO NOT get what you pay for. Mcgill at 10K a year has a much better program than UBC at 45000 a year.

Archived