Premed 101 Forums

PAT - Aperatures Section...HELP!

Guest spartacus1212

Guest spartacus1212

According to the rules: "The objects and apertures are both drawn to the same scale therefore it is possible for the aperture to be too large or too small for the oject. Although in all cases the differences are large enough to judge by eye"

This rule is from IQ Publications canada, and I believe it is written at the beginning of all the apertures sections.

I'm doing really well on all the other PAT sections, but when I get to this section I slow right down and have problems with these damn questions...the reason - many question have objects that cannot fit through the apertures. I'm even looking at some of the answers with 3D representation of the object and clearly no matter what direction (x,y,z,p,q plane) the object is at least 1-2mm to large for the apertures. I've asked the PAT instructors at Kaplan about this, and they saw what I was talking about but couldn't tell me if this is a printed mistake or this is what we can expect for the DAT. Any minds out there want to add some insight? If anyone has "Test A" from IQ (1999) look at question 7. This is an obvious example...

Guest uoft2005

question 7 looks fine to me...

i have similar problems.. my weakness is the aperture.

I cut down many mistakes simply by spending most time in it compared to other sections. Some dude suggested listening to classical music while performing the PAT section. maybe worth a shot

:hat

Guest slysniper

I hear ya buddy, number 7 looks wierd (even my dental friend thinks so). It is funny how you went to CDA and looked at the rules, cuz I did the same. After I read them, I realized that this question was bs.

I totally agree with you, I find some aperture questions on IQ not to be the same scale as the object.

Back to smoking :smokin

Guest spartacus1212

Thanks for the replies. I actually got an email response from "IQ". They indicated that some of their drawings will not be exactly the same scale - "one might be 1:15, the other 1:17". They did say however that on the actual DAT exam the object and aperture will be the exact same scale.

Also interesting, just checked out the rules in the "Baron DAT" manual and this same rule is worded differently..."object and aperture are NOT drawn to scale".

anyways...good luck all -

Archived