Premed 101 Forums

Any Tips for the EC section? First time applicant to UoA

Hey everyone,

I am a non-trad and have applied many times to UBC and OMSAS (Queens, UoT) but this will be my first time applying to UoA as I am rewriting my MCAT and hoping to make the 128 CARS cutoff for OOP.

I was wondering if people could provide some insight into how they viewed UoA ECs compared to other schools? Did you approach it similar to UBCs where they dont want to know what you learned but rather what you did? Do you try to combine many things into one slot? IE) multiple research awards, publications, volunteering in lab into one activity in Life Experiences & Achievements with that short 325 character window? Or did you split it up even though you could have put something else for those other slots.

Also I heard they contact all verifiers and have them essentially write a mini reference (rank you amongst other volunteers, ie top 1%, 10% etc | write some things about you ). This is a bit concerning for me since some of my verifiers have never met me since its been 5 years since I left and they are a new volunteer coordinator. If so then I wont be able to put some significant activities, which is a big disadvantage to non-trads.

Anyways, any advice/tips or pointing to resources would be helpful!

Thanks!