Premed 101 Forums

successful reapplications - cv update?

nontradmd

i would be very interested in hearing from anyone who reapplied and got into MDCM after a year and whether you modified your CV much?  i am a non-traditional applicant (post-doctoral fellow working with the ministry) so i think that my cv is decent (was able to get an OOP interview last year), but i am really wondering whether i should slightly update my cv or keep it the same -- for example, i have a few publications that represent my research area and i have a few long-term volunteer commitments, so i am trying to determine whether "same" is better than "new" or whether not much "newness" means that not much has changed from last year?!  

i know that it is best to have a cv that best represents your work, but just interested in previous experiences of those were were able to get in after reapplication!  :)

I did: I curated my CV differently to be more intentional in which activities I included and what elements from each entry I was highlighting. I also added very brief context for some common hobbies that I listed that would likely not stand out on their own to explain why they were important to me. Feel free to DM me if you'd like to discuss further.

- Former Nontraditional Applicant

• 2 weeks later...

Applied a couple times to McGill before getting in. The time I got in, my CV was radically different from my first application, but not so different compared the most 2nd most recent one. Adding more recent/meaningful work is always a plus, but if it is already super polished and reflects your best self, then theres no need to extensively readjust it.