Premed 101 Forums

related to the DAT prep. material provided by CDA

Guest h00091048

Guest h00091048

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the DAT prep. material which is provided by CDA to applicants.

I would like to know if this prep. material is really needed?

Do applicants order it or not usually?

I'm planing on using kaplan DAT and Topscore pro and also Barron's...is that enough?

I would like to hear from both future DAT applicants and also those who have been through the DAT before (what did you actually use as your study source?).

Could you please share your experiences about the DAT prep. process?

I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Guest gindy01

When I wrote the DAT I used barrons, kaplan, and the IQ publications. I dont think you need to order any other material besides soaps and blades from the CDA, as well as the ruler, it comes in a kit, but youll need more soaps than the six they provide in the kit. Its a good idea to get familiar with the ruler, soap, and knife. Other then that I dont think theres anything else that you would need from them.

Guest h00091048

Thank you gindy01 for your reply.

But I'm confused here a little bit. Let me explain:

In the DAT brochure it is said that there is a DAT prep. kit and a soap six-pack.

The DAT prep. kit includes the DAT prep. manual, which contains sample tests; six pieces of carving material, a marker, a ruler, a knife handle and a blade and the total cost is $60+GST/HST ($64.20/$69).

The soap six-pack contains 6 pieces of carving material and the total cost is $30+GST/HST ($32.10/$34.50)

Should we get both and are they both realy needed, the total cost for both would be around $100.

So according to what is written above there will be 12 pieces of carving material if we get both of them, right?...Aren't 12 pieces enough to practice?

As you can see I'm totally new to this DAT stuff

Please help me out

Thank you

Guest johnwoo19

Buy the DAT prep kit, i.e. the manual and the carving kit, they are essential. As for the soaps, that's up to you. 6 pieces may be deemed enough by some people and others may find that they need 60 pieces.

Guest h00091048

Thank you johnwoo19,

And what about this GST/HST thing?...what are these?...TAX??

For example, the DAT prep. kit is $60 + GST/HST ($64.20/$69). Which one I'm going to pay?...$60? $64.20? or $69?

Guest gindy01

What I did was I got the DAT prep kit but the thing is that you'll only get 6 pieces of soap rite, and thats not even close to enough to get you really good at carving, so you'll need more soaps and those you can order in six packs which cost like 30 bucks a pack I think. So for the learning part such as your PAT, reading etc use the kaplan, barrons books etc but for the carving your gonna need to get the kit and more soaps along with it, thas if you wanna get alot of practice, which I would recomend you do, I carved alot of soaps before doing the real thing on the test. In my opinion carving will go really good if you can develop your technique, which I personally dont think is possible after 6 soaps.......... So my adivce order more soaps

Archived