Premed 101 Forums

Where should I apply: likely low MCAT, low GPA, weird ECs

To anyone looking at this, thank you for your time <3

Educational Stage: CEGEP degree (DEC), 3rd year trad undergrad with minor at Carleton U (3 years completed). Fluent in french, so applying to french streams if possible. Woman, low SES

GPA:

• Y1: 3.9+, 5 courses each term with one P/F

• Y2: 3.7~ 4 courses and 1 P/F for each term

• havent taken orgo II. P/F orgo I, which was a grade below B (thus making me ineligible for uottawa I believe?)

MCAT: taking in a few days, averaging 509 (most recent FL 126/128/128/127)

CASPer: not yet taken

Non-Academic (Extracurriculars & Volunteering):

• Founder of club (started 2021)

• 2 scholarships & 2 bursaries awarded through 2 years of undergrad

• lived abroad for three months during the winter semester to help my aunt care for her newborn (not sure how to frame this in the context of the application, sure made my third semester much more difficult)

• not sure if work is counted as an EC, but due to financial reasons I was never able to stop working and this affected my grades/ECs/MCAT: I’ve been working a part time job in the region throughout my degree, and throughout studying for the MCAT (full-time)

• run a secondhand and hand painted clothing page whose proceeds go to a children’s hospital (since last summer)

• volunteer graphics and opinion contributor to campus newspaper

• volunteered at a palliative care center kitchen during one semester (probably omitting)

• creativity prize at a hackathon (2017), honourable mention at Model UN convention (2018)

• several ECs in cegep including executive with philosophy club, amnesty international and video editor for the college’s YT channel.

• Free time: videogames, arts and crafts, climate change & human rights activism, politics & debate, fashion.

Research: lol none, I’ve been trying :')

Schools of interest: QC (IP), Ontario, and anywhere I have a bloody chance

0 Comments
Save