Premed 101 Forums

Community College to Medical School Problems

Hi everyone, I could really use some advice. I'm an older student at 27, and after getting my stuff together I was able to graduate community college with a 3.84 (would have been a 3.9 but I took unnecessary classes).  I acquired my Associates Degree and took a lot of my general electives. I managed to get a scholarship to a respected state school. Being that I took most of my required electives, my current course load is pretty heavy. I'm taking Comparative Animal Physiology, Genetics, General Chemistry 1, and Environmental Science.  Suffice to say, I'm really stressed out. I don't see myself in any other field than becoming a doctor. For my Genetics class, they drop the two lowest quiz scores. My quiz scores are a 60, a 45 (ouch), and a 0 (I missed taking that class). When I went to my community college I was able to do well, and was able to make solid connections with my professors. At this state school, most of the professors are cold, and I have reached out to get research experience and have been shut down.  I'm trying my hardest, and have actually become the guy who uses the highlighter and note cards. I sit at the front of all of my classes.  My question is, are my chances at medical school shot if I have to retake my Genetics and possibly Gen Chem course? I of course, strive to get an A in all of my classes. I really appreciate your advice and any other study tips. It's also like I'm trying to shift to third gear using my brain, but it's stuck at barely 1st gear. I even hired a private genetics tutor, with our first class being Friday.  I'm trying to see the bigger picture, in that I can learn from this semester, I really don't have any guidance from family members and had to figure out everything by myself. Thank you!