Premed 101 Forums

Some Questions

Guest DentalChick

Guest DentalChick

Hi Guys!

1) The IQ carving manual has some straaaaannnggeee designs in some of their examples...for instance, carving design 7 (p.46) shows a triangular notch, carving design 9 (p. 48) has some sort of double notch thing happening, and carving design 10 has a rounded end that I would have NO CLUE how to attempt...I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have ever seen anything like these on an actual exam, or whether I am safe sticking to basic notches and flutes, squares and triangles.

2) Some people in an American DAT forum have been freaking me out about the difficulty of the science section, while it seems that the CDA practice is actually quite basic. I don't want to waste my time scrounging through old textbooks and notes trying to memorize levels of detail that are really not necessary. I am most concerned with the physiology topics, as Kaplan and Barrons give a very brief description, but I could eaaaasily make myself nuts trying to learn a lot more detail.

3) Finally, is the RC section always science-based? If so, certain articles in the IQ book are quite irrelevant.

4) REALLY stupid question: the test IS administered on paper, and not on computer, correct?

A million thank yous to whoever helps me out!!!!!

hi dental chick,

i would say that IQ designs #1, 3 and 10 are pretty unlikely. 1 and 3 are too easy and 10 (the one with the rounded end) wouldn't work out well. The others are all pretty reasonable designs and could be similar to what you might get on the DAT.

The science section is not particularly difficult if you have taken 1st yr bio and chem. There probably won't be much there that you have not at least heard of before, so just review the material thoroughly. There will however probably be a couple of questions that you won't have any idea about - i'd be surprised if that wasn't the case for everyone.

In my experience (2 DATs) the RC section has been science based, not that it would make much of a difference. The difficulty with the RC section is the time limitation, not usually the material itself.

The test is administered on paper.

Archived