Premed 101 Forums

"religious" extra-curriculum activities ?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Hello guys. For those of you who have been through the application process for dental schools, I need your input if possible. How do adcom ,in general, preceive religious extra-curriculum activities?

I have done many extra-curriculum activities that are religious based and they mean a lot to me since they have helped shaping up my characters. I plan to do a mission trip in Africa next summer to develop my characters and gain new perspectives.

I am not doing these things just to fill up application paper or have something to say during the interviews. Honestly, the experience actually solidify my decision to pursue dentistry.

your suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Guest belledentiste

Wow... that's awesome! I'd love to go to Africa to see the country and culture... also, you're helping others! It can't get any better than that!

What's adcom anyway? If you're applying to dental schools, like UWO or U of T, they will not get an opportunity to look at your extracurriculars until you get to the interview stage. And when you get to that stage, you can talk about your experiences (religious or non-religious). I don't think it matters whether or not it's religious... even if it does matter, it would be considered as discrimination. I know a lot of friends who did missionary work with their church and they're in med school. Just apply and don't worry about that. The fact that you're doing all these extracurricular activites is a good thing... Good luck with your applications.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

honestly extracurricular = WASTE OF TIME for U of T dental school. Better off going to make money to pay for tuition by getting a job.

Guest smooth operater

well, I know it's kinda useless to do extra-curricular activities to beef up the application for Canadian dental schools. That's why I mentioned my motive of doing all these things is not about impressing dental adcom (adcom = admission comittee) alone.

I am just wondering emphasizing much on this may do more harm than good.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

oh shietttteee sorry i should have read word for word hwat u said. my bad...

good morning starshine! the earth says hello!

Archived