Premed 101 Forums

Mature applicant (PhD with low undergrad GPA) for UCalgary med school

Hi everyone,

I’m currently a PhD student at the university of Alberta (graduate by Jan 2023). I finished my undergrad U of A as well (major in chemical engineering, graduated in 2017). During my PhD, I worked with clinical-related project and developed great interest in medicine and I’m considering University of Calgary med school in the near future. 

However, during my undergrad, my GPA was quite low. 1st year: 2.4, 2nd year: 2.8, 3rd year: 3.0, 4th year: 2.8. My PhD gpa is 3.9 with total 12 courses (36 credit). During my PhD, I have published 6+ first authored papers (biomed/basic science related), with more than 10 public presentations/conference, and several Alberta scholarships.

Because of my low undergrad GPA, I’m planning to evoke the 10-year exclusion rule to exclude my first two year of undergrad. I’m also considering online courses at Athabasca university for 1 or 2 years to boost my GPA while working.

To boost my application:
1. Is there a specific of degree at AU (i.e. BSc in human biology or others) that is considered superior by the admission committee, or open-study program is sufficient?

2. I have already taken a bunch of chemistry math and stats during my engineering undergrad (with low GPA), can I retake similar courses at AU?

3. is there any type of community service/volunteering/leadership that you guys recommend me doing prior to the application?

4. Any other tips for my circumstances would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

From watching some podcasts from the admissions committee and reading the applicant manual:

1. All degrees are considered equal, none are considered 'better' than another. However, course load and level of courses will be considered in total academic merit. i.e. if someone is taking 100 or 200 level courses at the end of their degree. Also, a previous podcast mentioned that file reviewers can see your transcripts, which some institutions put class average information, so they can compare how well you did to average.

2. I have not come across any information mentioning not being able to retake courses. You may find this helps you prepare for the MCAT and you may be able to get better averages the second time. 

3. Directly from the application manual: "Applicants are therefore encouraged to think carefully and critically about their own experiences and to highlight those things which demonstrate those abilities essential to the practice of medicine, rather than to simply compile a list of their greatest accomplishments."

Calgary admissions has highlighted repeatedly in the blog and podcasts to pursue experiences that are meaningful to you. Consider reflecting on opportunities to engage with your community, peers, and colleagues in a way that you are passionate about. If you are more passionate and or invested in this activity, you will likely be able to speak about it in a more sophisticated way than a cookie cutter volunteer experience.

I would brainstorming different activities that involve community, research (you are a PhD student so there is already a great area to highlight on your application), leadership, and volunteering and picking the ones that interest you the most. There's no harm in trying a few to begin with. 

4. If you meet the minimum academic requirements, apply. Even if you think it's not a strong application. You learn a lot just by writing your application and stewing over it for a year and can improve it tremendously the more you ask your peers for feedback. You clearing have accomplished a PhD with a lot or papers and that certainly is a higher level of research than the majority of applicants.

I'd write down a list of what you consider to be your top experiences (don't limit it to 10) and reflect on how this has impacted you and changed your attitudes or values. Anytime you think of something new while preparing to apply you can add to it so once you get to the application you have already started the reflection process.

^take the above information with a grain of salt as I am currently applying as well!

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2023 at 3:00 PM, churroburrow said:

From watching some podcasts from the admissions committee and reading the applicant manual:

1. All degrees are considered equal, none are considered 'better' than another. However, course load and level of courses will be considered in total academic merit. i.e. if someone is taking 100 or 200 level courses at the end of their degree. Also, a previous podcast mentioned that file reviewers can see your transcripts, which some institutions put class average information, so they can compare how well you did to average.

2. I have not come across any information mentioning not being able to retake courses. You may find this helps you prepare for the MCAT and you may be able to get better averages the second time. 

3. Directly from the application manual: "Applicants are therefore encouraged to think carefully and critically about their own experiences and to highlight those things which demonstrate those abilities essential to the practice of medicine, rather than to simply compile a list of their greatest accomplishments."

Calgary admissions has highlighted repeatedly in the blog and podcasts to pursue experiences that are meaningful to you. Consider reflecting on opportunities to engage with your community, peers, and colleagues in a way that you are passionate about. If you are more passionate and or invested in this activity, you will likely be able to speak about it in a more sophisticated way than a cookie cutter volunteer experience.

I would brainstorming different activities that involve community, research (you are a PhD student so there is already a great area to highlight on your application), leadership, and volunteering and picking the ones that interest you the most. There's no harm in trying a few to begin with. 

4. If you meet the minimum academic requirements, apply. Even if you think it's not a strong application. You learn a lot just by writing your application and stewing over it for a year and can improve it tremendously the more you ask your peers for feedback. You clearing have accomplished a PhD with a lot or papers and that certainly is a higher level of research than the majority of applicants.

I'd write down a list of what you consider to be your top experiences (don't limit it to 10) and reflect on how this has impacted you and changed your attitudes or values. Anytime you think of something new while preparing to apply you can add to it so once you get to the application you have already started the reflection process.

^take the above information with a grain of salt as I am currently applying as well!

If I may ask what was the name of the podcast? I am a pharmacist wanting to make the switch into medicine and Ucalgary is my top school, that I'm looking into.