Premed 101 Forums

Whats the story with UBC?

Guest Dent08

Guest Dent08

So whats with UBC? They are the only dental school in Canada making a profit, but how they are doing it is leaving a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths (ha!).

They are the first out of the Canadian dental schools to send out acceptance letters and demand an $8000 non-refundable deposit before other schools send out their letters of acceptance, forcing candidates to forget about UBC all together and hope like hell that they'll get into another dental school, or make UBC their first choice. Thats a nice little money maker they've got there. I wonder how munch money they take from students who have UBC as their last choice, but put down a deposit just in case they don't get in anywhere else? I know of 3 people last year who paid the deposit and then ended up going somewhere else.

How come all other schools in Canada send out their acceptance letters at the same time, giving their candidates a fair chance to select the school they want to attend before they drop a big chunk of $$$$ on a deposit. UBC is the only ones going out of their way to put applicants in this difficult position.

How come UBC has such a high drop out rate? I've heard from several UBC dent students that numerous students either drop out of dent, or are kicked out for something or other. Of course these students are not given any of their tuition back, and their spots are filled with international student who pay double the tuition.

UBC students. Please enlighten me!

Yah dude!

What's even more interesting is how there are no more provincial quotas. Meaning that people all across canada have equal shot at ubc. Now what does this mean?

Consider the following: Logically it makes more sense for someone to give up their seat that is from another province. So if you are from Ontario and you get into Western and have reserved your spot at ubc already you statistically will chose the province that you are from and drop your ubc spot. What does this mean? UbC takes your 8000!

So by opening it up to the rest of the country it seems to me that this is their way of getting more applicants that will drop their spot when they find out about their home provinces.

Ethical? Professionalism? I'm sure these topics are covered in dental school.....!

Archived