Premed 101 Forums

Combined fellowships

Hi all,

I’m a PGY1 radiology in a canadian program and I hoping to get your thoughts on combined fellowships. I have come across fellowships that combined for example Body and MSK (with focus on MRI) or neuro and MSK etc. I might be naive but I feel like for 1 year long fellowships that are on a single organ system, your learning may plateau by about midway through so I feel like these combined fellowships are great to optimize your learning and be more marketable. Am I missing something?

There are a lot of factors, like how strong you are coming into that subspecialty, and how much the fellowship offers.

Career-wise if you want to work in the community then it's probably better to have a wider base of skills. On the other hand if you want to work in a super subspecialized academic department, then you've basically wasted 6 months.

As for learning, I feel like you can always polish up on certain kinds of uncommon studies. But yes you're right in that the bulk of the learning for the common stuff plateaus out.