Premed 101 Forums

University of Alberta DDS Discussion/Interview Invites

• 4 weeks later...

3 hours ago, titikam said:

I hope that doesn't mean rejection:angry:

2 hours ago, Teeththief said:

unfortunately I would treat it as such. unless there are people who decline the interview , there are no more interview invites sent out. I am sorry :/ I am in the same boat and I am IP with great stats. 

I wouldn’t count yourselves out just yet… I interviewed last year and there were 2 waves of interviews sent. One in mid-February and one at the end of February after people decline, so there is still a chance.

It is also important to keep in mind that some stats are losing importance for UofA. GPA is now viewed as a threshold and not used competitively anymore (as long as you have >3.5 that is all they care about… doesn’t matter if you have a 3.95 or 3.55). Also we don’t know how if Casper is a threshold either.

48 minutes ago, Hopskipjump said:

I wouldn’t count yourselves out just yet… I interviewed last year and there were 2 waves of interviews sent. One in mid-February and one at the end of February after people decline, so there is still a chance.

It is also important to keep in mind that some stats are losing importance for UofA. GPA is now viewed as a threshold and not used competitively anymore (as long as you have >3.5 that is all they care about… doesn’t matter if you have a 3.95 or 3.55). Also we don’t know how if Casper is a threshold either.

Hey thanks for your response. wish everyone best of luck, I will update if I have received any emails!

11 hours ago, Hopskipjump said:

I understand academic stats are losing importance... but beyond needing a 3.5 GPA to earn an offer of admission, how do you know for certain GPA is not used competitively anymore? Is it an extrapolation from the 3.5 GPA policy posted on the admissions site or do you have people on the inside that confirmed this? 

I'm so interested in how Casper is considered. I interviewed last year and this year with 1st and 2nd quartile scores, respectively. 

8 hours ago, oopsnotgettingin said:

I understand academic stats are losing importance... but beyond needing a 3.5 GPA to earn an offer of admission, how do you know for certain GPA is not used competitively anymore? Is it an extrapolation from the 3.5 GPA policy posted on the admissions site or do you have people on the inside that confirmed this? 

I'm so interested in how Casper is considered. I interviewed last year and this year with 1st and 2nd quartile scores, respectively. 

There was an information session last year and that’s where they mentioned the change in the way GPA would be assessed. Many clarifying questions were asked during the presentation to make sure everyone understood correctly and an email was sent afterwards confirming that GPA was only be using used as a threshold and will not be used competitively in admission decisions. Now, that could have changed, but that’s what we were told last year. And according to the admission statistics from last year, someone got in with like a 3.52 or something, whereas previous years the lowest was a 3.7-3.8 if I remember correctly.

I am also very curious about Casper. I thought it was maybe a threshold as well, but you interviewing with a 1st quartile last year makes me question that. Who knows!

15 hours ago, oopsnotgettingin said:

The class average was still a 3.8 so only a few students like the 3.52 brought it down which means they still put some value on gpa is what I’m guessing. The mean for the year before was a 3.9. I’m curious about casper too I interviewed with a 2nd last year but didn’t get in

20 hours ago, dentkidpending said:

The class average was still a 3.8 so only a few students like the 3.52 brought it down which means they still put some value on gpa is what I’m guessing. The mean for the year before was a 3.9. I’m curious about casper too I interviewed with a 2nd last year but didn’t get in

I know someone who got in with a 2nd quartile casper last year so I guess there’s another shred of info we can work off of. 

@Hopskipjumpthanks for clarifying! I find it weird that they wouldn’t publicly state that on the admissions website though. I know ever since med changed their MCAT requirement to be a threshold they’ve been transparent about it, so I’m going to continue to take this with a grain of salt! 

@dentkidpending I’m inclined to agree with you. I think GPA is de-emphasized but still important. The 3.52 was surprising to me last year. Which leads me to caution all of us to not get too wrapped up in comparing stats with each other over the next few months. There’s so much more to us that we don’t know about each other that we can’t actually compare and we don’t know how admissions is appraising any of it! I experienced so much grief from May-June last year over this lol. So @TeeththiefI hope you hear the news you’re looking for soon and don’t agonize too much over it ❤️