Premed 101 Forums

Any tips for ranking Radiology Ontario programs for someone with no geographical preference?

• anon123423 changed the title to Any tips for ranking Radiology Ontario programs for someone with no geographical preference?

I had a very positive impression of all the Ontario programs I interviewed with this round. With no geographical preference, maybe rank based on how big the programs are or exposure to subspecialties you might be interested in?

Something less concrete on my ranking is the "vibe" of the program itself, especially the director and the residents. If you truly have no preference, another thing to consider may be how you felt about the program director and whether you think if they are someone who would go to bat for you or the residents.

As an applicant, my honest 2 cents is that you will get a good education at all the programs across Canada. So if geography is not a concern, I would look into the program's culture, call schedule etc. The advice I got was to rank with how it fits with your values and geography/family.

For example, the pros of bigger “prestigious” programs in the middle of Ontario and out west will offer more exposure to different subspecialties and research opportunities (helpful if your career goal is academic radiology). However, the higher number of fellows means less opportunity for procedures, and larger programs might mean a harder time making connections/mentorship.

A smaller or mid-size program would likely offer a tight-knit and collegial resident vibe. Likely easier to find mentors and make connections. Also will have high volumes and procedural opportunities. Seems like you will receive good training to be skilled and efficient. This is important for community radiology which is where most trainees end up.

Overall, do your research and follow your gut. Know the pros and cons, especially the call schedule/set-up. Good luck! 

I am not related to rad

but thinking ahead, consider questions such as will you do a fellowship? where? what area? how successful are their graduates in securing jobs? what kind of jobs? where were their jobs? was a grad degree required to find jobs? do they hire their own grads? do they allow electives outside of your institution?