Premed 101 Forums

Where to place my focus for upcoming application

Hi all,

I’ve decided very recently that I want to pursue medicine. I completed my undergrad in 2019 with a 3.94 gpa, and completed a bachelors of education in 2021 with a 3.96 gpa. I’ve been teaching (mostly supplying) and tutoring since then, for the past couple of years. I haven’t completed the MCAT because this is a recent decision. I also have very little in terms of EC/ Volunteering - I volunteered for about a month with the tutoring company I work for, but that’s pretty much it. I am from Northern Ontario, and did my education and currently work in a northern Ontario city.

What do you think my chances would look like for NOSM? In general, for applications this year, would it be better to focus on MCAT or on improving my volunteering experiences? Any insight would be helpful.

They would be very good if you're from Northern Ontario! The deciding factor will be your MCAT. Without it, nothing else can really be computed in terms of your odds, except at some schools that don't take the MCAT (Ottawa, McGill). That said, with a good MCAT (especially CARS), you'll be a great candidate. The teaching degree will be a part of the "CV" component too, for sure, so don't discount that.

Hi Unmatched, thanks for your input. Is the lack of volunteering/EC not too major an issue? I compare my experience to the volunteering and EC that traditional students have, and it just doesn't feel like it's anywhere near to be sufficient. 

I'm very lucky to be from Northern Ontario in relation to NOSM admissions. It definitely feels like my best bet right now, especially until I'm able to complete the MCAT and see what my results are like. Is the four-odd months likely to be enough to succeed on the MCATs if I'm able to put two or three hours into it per night? I know that a lot of people underestimate the intensity of the test, and I hope to not do that.

As far as I know NOSM university doesn't require the MCAT, so if you're banking on NOSM (and you do sound like you'd be an excellent candidate) then I wouldn't even write it unless you're planning on applying to other schools that consider it. Volunteering/EC are most advantageous if it's something that's meaningful to you - picking up some hospital volunteering shifts here and there may be less impact full than, say, developing a program within the schools you work for to support underprivileged youth in sports, for an example off the top of my head. Likewise, if there's anything you've done within your teaching experience that could also fit within a leadership/EC/volunteering lens, I would include it there as well. 

MCAT is a terrible test imo and a bit of a slog. Time to study for it will depend on your comfort level with the basic sciences. I wrote mine back in 2017, so it may have evolved considerably since then, but I spent about two weeks studying all in (took the time off work to study), focusing mostly on Physical Sciences since that was my area of weakness. 

Keep in mind as well that it takes most medical students on average 2.5 times application attempts to gain admission, so don't get discouraged if this application cycle doesn't necessarily work out for you. It's wonderful that you have a career currently and will reflect very well on you during the admissions process, and I would just dedicate any extra time to building leadership/innovation and community improvement projects, etc as above, as well as familiarizing yourself with the Canadian medical system (and its many flaws), as those are often hot topic interview questions. I started medical school in my late 20s after a career switch and am very grateful for the way that the maturity and work experience impacted my training and residency match. 

Hi bbbbbbb, thanks for replying. NOSM doesn't require the MCAT. Thanks for the insight about ECs/Volunteering. I know that personally meaningful volunteering opportunities are regarded much more highly than cookie-cutter, or not-personally-relevant experiences. I'll consider seriously what types of activities I'd be most interested in, even if I don't see outcomes until 2024 or later.

MCAT really does seem like a major slog. It's hard to imagine people spending months preparing full-time for it, though I guess that's just what it can take to be fully prepared. I could place an emphasis on CARS for McGill for this application and see where that takes me. Familiarization with the Canadian medical system is also a very salient point. How would you recommend doing that, if I'm not personally close with any doctors? My parents are nurses so I suppose that would be a good starting point.

I honestly cannot imagine having entered medicine right out of undergrad. I lacked the tact, confidence, and life experience to be a mindful person let alone a good doctor. Traditional applicants who have that grace deserve some real applause. I'm glad that I hadn't set myself towards this until path now, and I'm glad that you found your experience was beneficial for you as well.

Thanks for the help!