Premed 101 Forums

paying deposit with credit card

Guest cedar05

Guest cedar05

hey guys,

Can we pay our $1000 tuition deposit online with a credit card? This is how it is done at Dal so it seems odd that Toronto asks for check or money order. Anybody?

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

At U. of Calgary, too, we can pay our fees with credit cards. You might want to give someone in Admissions a holler to find out if this is possible.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest scrubbed

Hi there,

At U of T, you aren't able to pay your deposit (or tuition) with a credit card, though, as you pointed out, this option is availbale at other schools, including UBC too. I payed my deposit with a money order.

What you are able to do is set up your bank account such that you are able to pay tuition through online banking. I went to my neighbourhood BMO branch with my tuition invoice and had them use my student number to set up a online payment option. When I have U of T related expenses, I do an onlne bill payment.

It's suboptimal, but that's how it goes.

Guest Steve MD09

Companies that accept credit card payments have to pay vendor fees. These fees are very often a percentage of what is spent (a considerably higher percentage than you get in rewards). Schools that accept credit card payments for tuition would have to charge more just to cover the vendor fees.

Guest scrubbed

That's an interesting point Steve, given the different approaches that schools take.

Perhaps using the credit card system saves a school administration fees, or perhaps it just budgets for it for the benefit and convenience of students, though the interenet banking system is quite convenient too.

Guest ssc427
Companies that accept credit card payments have to pay vendor fees. These fees are very often a percentage of what is spent (a considerably higher percentage than you get in rewards). Schools that accept credit card payments for tuition would have to charge more just to cover the vendor fees.

Then why is the UofT tuition the highest in the country yet they are one of the few schools who do not accept credit cards?

Archived