Premed 101 Forums

Advice needed about transfer

Hi everyone, I recently went unmatched after solely applying for a 5-year specialty in the 1st iteration of CaRMS. I engaged in some introspection and thought that I would be most satisfied with a career switch into IM with the goal of pursuing a procedural subspecialty like cards or GI. I am currently coming up with my ROL for the 2nd iteration of CaRMS. I was fortunate to get interviews in IM, path, and FM. I would rather match this round than go unmatched and apply again with the prospects of matching to any specialty being lower. I am ranking IM first (fingers crossed that I match into it) but if it doesn't work, I could see myself being fulfilled in path and less so in FM. Ultimately though, I do want to exhaust all efforts in transferring into IM. Would it be more strategic to rank path over FM given that there's available 4/5 years of funding vs. 2 years of funding and that the switch might be easier to facilitate? Has anyone been in this situation and transferred into IM from path or FM? Any advice is much appreciated. 

3 minutes ago, Eyeboi2020 said:

Hi everyone, I recently went unmatched after solely applying for a 5-year specialty in the 1st iteration of CaRMS. I engaged in some introspection and thought that I would be most satisfied with a career switch into IM with the goal of pursuing a procedural subspecialty like cards or GI. I am currently coming up with my ROL for the 2nd iteration of CaRMS. I was fortunate to get interviews in IM, path, and FM. I would rather match this round than go unmatched and apply again with the prospects of matching to any specialty being lower. I am ranking IM first (fingers crossed that I match into it) but if it doesn't work, I could see myself being fulfilled in path and less so in FM. Ultimately though, I do want to exhaust all efforts in transferring into IM. Would it be more strategic to rank path over FM given that there's available 4/5 years of funding vs. 2 years of funding and that the switch might be easier to facilitate? Has anyone been in this situation and transferred into IM from path or FM? Any advice is much appreciated. 

Rank in the order that you would want to do residency at those programs. The chances of the funding of path having an effect on your chances of transfer is extremely small. By all means, go whole hog in on transferring (reach out to the local IM program early, reach out to your PGME office about national transfer within a few months of starting, be the best resident you can be so you get good LORs, apply again in 2nd round CaRMS next year), but proceed under the assumption that you will not be able to transfer and make your ranking decisions accordingly, because there is no guarantee.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:57 PM, Eyeboi2020 said:

s or GI. I am currently coming up with my ROL for the 2nd iteration of CaRMS. I was fortunate to get interviews in IM, path, and FM. I would rather match this round

Hey! Which path programs did you apply for and received interviews? 
I'm interested in path and was wondering if you did electives or observerships in them? 

Thank you so much.