Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisted

Guest MrNeuroscience

Guest MrNeuroscience

Congratulations to everyone that received an offer... and for those that are waitlisted, I feel your pain!

Does anyone know if in the beginning of June U of T sends a group of offers to the first waitlistees (For all the people that declined their offer in the next two or three weeks)? or is it a trickle down effect?

Thanks...

Guest cher002

Ah! I got waitlisted to. I wish they told us our ranking though I know it changes all the time. But at least general ideas ..like ..am I near the bottom or near the top (haha) would be nice. At this rate, I don't know where I'm even living next year!. :\ Sorry for my little rant. Congrats to those who did get in and to those who're like me..well..hey apply again, that's what I'm doing. They can't stop us from getting in unless we let this discourage us right?

As for the trickling effect question, I have no idea! However, the email did say we'd hear things during the first week of June, which possibly is the deadline for thos admitted to respond? I don't know.

Another question, does U of T write "due to your ranking, you have a low chance of being admitted" ? Because I know U of Ottawa does that.

Thanks all,

Cher002

Guest hisname

Oh the horror, relegated to the dreaded waitlist, again...

I was waitlisted until early September last year...

The perpetual life of limbo continues...

Guest kingrad

im waitlisted too....

i wish i knew where i am on the list (dont we all!)......

but im ready to sign a contract for a job offer up north....and now i might have to give up this offer if i dont find out soon. argh.

the waiting continues.

Guest UTMed07
I was waitlisted until early September last year...

The perpetual life of limbo continues...

Ouch. :x As someone that spent a summer on the waitlist I have some idea of the pain you're feeling.

To answer the above questions--

Is this an indication that I'm at the bottom of the list?
I would not read much into what the adcom people tell you on the phone. They likely don't know your position on the waitlist. Also, there are, AFAIK, something like 100-150 waitlistees.
Another question, does U of T write "due to your ranking, you have a low chance of being admitted" ? Because I know U of Ottawa does that.
Unfortunately, U of T tells you zip. Being on the U of T waitlist blows... but you already knew that.
Does anyone know if in the beginning of June U of T sends a group of offers to the first waitlistees (For all the people that declined their offer in the next two or three weeks)? or is it a trickle down effect?
I'm not sure about the first few weeks. I think after the first-round offers deadline they go down the list until the class is full. Thus, generally, as time goes on the chances decrease.

I described a few more details in the FAQ. If you're looking for words of officialdom-- there is the May 31, 2005 Update. Good luck!

Guest geekpunk

MrNeuroscience,

Definetly rooting for you to get off of the waitlist. Hang in there and best of luck

Hope others who're waitlisted and have UofT as their first choice also hear good news in the next few weeks.

Guest kingrad

good waitlist/bad waitlist

i have heard from a friend who spoke with someone from admissions. He said that in so many words. they told him..(never actually said it...but hinted at it) ...that if you have the sentence in your email...

"However, we also advise you to consider alternate plans should such vacancies not become available"

...then u are on the bottom half (or bad waitlist). Anyone know if this is true? Anyone get a waitlist letter without that sentence??????? If so....then this speculation is likely true.

Guest juicyprunes

sigh:( ...waitlisted here as well...

I don't think there is a good/bad list and one shouldn't read too much into "However, we also advise..." other than the fact that it's perfectly sensible advice.

Good luck to everyone :)

Guest UofOBPS

Hey guys,

Sorry to break the news, but my email doesn't have that line:

The Faculty of Medicine has sent offers of admission to some applicants and refusal letters to others. Although we have made offers to fill all of the positions available in our class, it is possible that a number of the students to whom we have offered admission may not accept. We have retained your application for further consideration should such vacancies arise.

We do not expect to make any further offers of admission until the first week in June. After that time offers will be made as places become available, and this process will continue until our class has been filled. If you have moved, please ensure that we have on file your new address and a telephone number (home and/or business) where you may be reached during business hours. Please send this information to us in writing.

I know that you are very anxious about the outcome of your application to medical school but at this time we cannot give you any further information about the status of your application. I assure you that we will convey the final decision on your application as soon as we can.

Guest try2dstress

I wish the best for all of you, especially after getting to know some of you through the boards. I know waiting is tough - I hope it goes by quickly with some good news at the end of it all. MrNeuro - I owe you some drinks so I'm definitley rooting for you to be in TO next year :)

Guest sensodyne

is everyone that wasn't offered a spot today put on the wait-list or were some people rejected? I'm wondering how big this wait-list actually is.

Guest MrNeuroscience

Thanks very much DancingDoc, Geepunk and Try2dstress...

I'm trying to stay positive, but my e-mail did have the ominous line in it that could mean bottom half of the waitlist.

But tommorow is always another day right?

Guest zeddy101

I agree with juicyprunes. I don't think the sentence "However, we also advise..." means that you are on the bad wait lists. U of T doesn't disclose info on where you are on the waitlist, so I don't think it makes much sense to send out different waitlist letters...one to hint you're on the top and one to hunt you're on the bottom.

Guest erozenb

Is there anyone else that did not have the line: "However, we also advise you to consider alternate plans should such vacancies not become available" in their email from U of T?

Guest linghy

my e-mail has that line.. yet my last year's letter didn't.. and while everything else was word for word exactly

i dunno what's going on

can a curreent student ask them for us?

Guest MrNeuroscience

I guess the only answer we can all truly rely on is the movement on the wait list in two weeks time. If the folks being offered spots don't have "the line" in their e-mail, then we'll know, if they do, then its all up in the air again.

I wish everyone (including myself!) the best of luck.

Guest erozenb

I spoke with admissions and they did inform me that unfortunately those with the line are on another waiting list. She said we could still definitly be called to fill spots, but the people without the line in their letter are more likely to be called. I hope this clears up the confusion a little, although it doesn't bring much relief to me!

Good luck to everyone!

-ER

Guest try2dstress

Hi all, This comes directly from the admissions website:

PLEASE NOTE: All offer packages and waitlist letters have been mailed. The University will not release the number of candidates on the waitlist, nor a candidate's position on our waitlist. In order to provide applicants some information regarding the likelihood of an offer, we have suggested to some candidates that they "should consider alternate plans for the fall" as an indication that they are not likely to recieve an offer , and should plan accordingly. Applicants whose letter does not include that statement are more likely, but not certain, to receive an offer.

The Admissions Office will not provide any additional information beyond that contained in mailed correspondence. (May 17, 2006)

I wish all of those on the waiting list the best of luck!

Archived