Premed 101 Forums

Specific time to ask for letters of recommendation?

Guest Gavanshir

Guest Gavanshir

Hi, I think this might be a stupid question but I'm wondering if I'm only supposed to ask for LORs when I start applying so that they can be sealed and sent by the profs or if I can ask for letters before hand (starting from 1st year) and keep them some where and use them when applying.

I'm just worried that I might not hit it off with exactly two science profs during the semester that I'll be applying and I'll be left without letters. And the profs that would write me letters would probably forget about me if I was to go back and ask them for a letter a couple of years after taking their course.

Am I just seeing this the wrong way?

Guest heho

first of all, you don't need letters from science profs. Some schools do not even require a letter from a prof. It's probably in your best interest to apply with at least ONE letter from a prof or instructor, so that you can present the opinion of someone who has seen you in action, so to speak, in an academic setting. But this letter does not need to come from a SCIENCE prof, and it's unlikely that you will need two. Infact, I think most med schools want to see referees from different parts of your life, ie. your employer, the old lady you walk across the street, etc.

I'd NOT get letters now, because they certyainly do need to be sealed/sent in by the referee his or herself. Also, they will probably need to fill out a specific form, which you will not have access to until your application year.

Wait it out... I always go into a new course wondering if I'll be able to use that prof (sad, I know), and evaluate as the semester progresses. Going to office hours with (Good, well thought out) questions will not only help you in a specific course, but will help you get to know the prof.

Good luck.

Guest no wai

You should ask the summer of the year you are applying (summer between 2nd and 3rd year if you are applying in 3rd year or summer between 3rd and 4th year if you're applying in 4th year).

Regardless of what they say about picking "someone who knows you," don't pick a TA or that old lady you help out at the seniors home, etc. Pick people who can make a critical assessment of you abilities. And yes, while name dropping won't make your applicatoin, it is also true that those people also have written many reference letters and know which buttons to push.

Archived