Premed 101 Forums

Transferring from MBBS to MD in the US

Hello!

I am a 4th year MBBS student and have been studying in Sudan. Due to the ongoing war, I am considering transfer options and I want to look into medical school in the US. However, I am not sure where to begin, or which schools I should reach out to, or if I even have a chance of being accepted into an MD program. If anyone has any insight or advice that would really be appreciated. 

So right off the bat, you're not going to be able to "transfer" you will have to apply as an incoming student if applying to the US. If you have excellent grades, LORs, activities from school there that might help but you will have to start from the beginning in the US. Look into requirements for international students applying to US schools. This forum is primarily for Canadian schools, so maybe try studentdoctor.net forums? In any case, without US citizenship or PR it is generally quite difficult to get into a US medical school, but it is possible. Note that it will be extremely expensive (up to ~400,000-500,000 USD) and will likely not qualify for a loan so you will need to be able to pay that out of pocket.

On 6/20/2023 at 8:15 PM, bearded frog said:

So right off the bat, you're not going to be able to "transfer" you will have to apply as an incoming student if applying to the US. If you have excellent grades, LORs, activities from school there that might help but you will have to start from the beginning in the US. Look into requirements for international students applying to US schools. This forum is primarily for Canadian schools, so maybe try studentdoctor.net forums? In any case, without US citizenship or PR it is generally quite difficult to get into a US medical school, but it is possible. Note that it will be extremely expensive (up to ~400,000-500,000 USD) and will likely not qualify for a loan so you will need to be able to pay that out of pocket.

Heyy thank you so much for responding right away! By incoming student you mean starting an MD from scratch right not an undergrad program? All right I'll try the other forum and keep searching and reading, thank you so much!

9 hours ago, Ayah S said:

Heyy thank you so much for responding right away! By incoming student you mean starting an MD from scratch right not an undergrad program? All right I'll try the other forum and keep searching and reading, thank you so much!

Yes, usually international undergraduate degrees are recognized.