Premed 101 Forums

how does UofT look at a 5th year?

Guest Dr3ni

Guest jgray2

i don't know if anyone knows the answer (or else they would post!). perhaps you can phone the admissions office to find out? afterwards, then you can post here to continue making this a great resource.

Guest scrubbed

Briefly,

I'm not aware of any specific policies about the issue. I think that you would still be considered in the undergraduate pool. I don't see your situation as too much different compared to someone who works in the meantime after they graduate.

A few things to consider:

Whether you can still apply the weighting formula. You need to be taking a full courseload to do this. Having a fifth year, you may be able to drop additional courses, as the number of course you can drop increases with the number of years taken. I'm not sure whether there is a maximum amount of courses you can drop or whether you can apply it. That's something that you can check with admissions.

U of T does look for coherencey and taking courses appropriate your years in university: a fourth year student should be taking mostly fourth year courses. You may want to take upper year courses then. Have a good idea, at least, of how the courses you woudl tae fit into your intellectual development. If they are lower year courses, perhaps you could say that you were checking out a different area. They do ask you to explain this in the essay.

Finally, be sure to keep your extracurrilculars up, even if they are stronger part of your application now.

I speak in the future tense, but it applies if you have some the fifth year.

Good luck!

Archived