Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2024 Cycle

I am currently finishing my undergrad at UBC (BC resident) and plan to apply for the 2025 intake for OT as I will be graduating spring 2025.

However, the lottery system for UofA OT is perplexing to say the least and I am not sure if I should even bother applying as my first choice would be UBC anyway. I definitely do not qualify for route 2 (the 4 life experiences criteria) and I am not sure if my grades are high enough for route 1 which requires a 3.8 GPA. I have an 87% grade average currently for my upper year courses and am finding it difficult to understand the grade conversions online. Even then, I have yet to take the CASPer and hope I land in the 4th quartile.

Does anyone have insight on grade conversions or if you've gotten accepted with a certain grade percent average at U of A? Thank you in advance!

2 hours ago, rel1422 said:

I am currently finishing my undergrad at UBC (BC resident) and plan to apply for the 2025 intake for OT as I will be graduating spring 2025.

However, the lottery system for UofA OT is perplexing to say the least and I am not sure if I should even bother applying as my first choice would be UBC anyway. I definitely do not qualify for route 2 (the 4 life experiences criteria) and I am not sure if my grades are high enough for route 1 which requires a 3.8 GPA. I have an 87% grade average currently for my upper year courses and am finding it difficult to understand the grade conversions online. Even then, I have yet to take the CASPer and hope I land in the 4th quartile.

Does anyone have insight on grade conversions or if you've gotten accepted with a certain grade percent average at U of A? Thank you in advance!

I would apply anyway if you are interested in UofA OT!! I was accepted as an OOP with roughly an 87% average in my last 60 credits (at UBC). However, I did receive a 4th quartile casper and had a ton of relevant experience with work and volunteering! 

2 hours ago, callaway17 said:

I just received my response this morning

Heard back today as well! Anyone have any idea how many people approximately are in each third of the waitlist? Or how many people western waitlists? Or what the whole process kinda looks like?

4 hours ago, ItsME01 said:

Heard back today as well! Anyone have any idea how many people approximately are in each third of the waitlist? Or how many people western waitlists? Or what the whole process kinda looks like?

i tried emailing them asking about it but they wouldn't disclose, just said historically they do use their waitlist 

On 5/21/2024 at 11:37 PM, rel1422 said:

Not sure about grade conversions or anything, but I do want to say you should give it a try! I didn’t think I was eligible for either route and I was still accepted (in province though), so I think there’s more to the admission process than they have explained on the site.

2 hours ago, PlsTakeMeOT said:

just got an email from UofT to enable my JOINid (i’m currently on the waitlist) - is too early to get my hopes up?

edit: does anyone know where to find our applicant number? 

I received the same email as well and am also waitlisted. No clue where to find the applicant/student number either as it wasn't in the previous email that indicated I had been waitlisted. 

6 hours ago, PlsTakeMeOT said:

just got an email from UofT to enable my JOINid (i’m currently on the waitlist) - is too early to get my hopes up?

I think everyone on the waitlist might’ve gotten that we email:(

4 hours ago, PlsTakeMeOT said:

Did they mention in the waitlist email anything about receiving account credentials? In the email sent to accepted students, they mentioned they would be sending out emails "within the next five days" for students to activate their JOINids. I was at uoft for my undergrad, so not sure if it was actually sent within 5 days as I already had an active account; but it is possible that this JOINid activation email was extended to waitlisted students as well. 

As an aside; it's possible that the applicant number is your ORPAS applicant number, and if you've been taken off the waitlist, you will likely see on ACORN (once you gain access to it) that you're "invited" to "OT MSOT2 2024-2025 Fall/Winter". Although no way to know for sure until you get an email; the absence of the ACORN enrolment doesn't mean anything!

Wishing for the best for you :)

5 minutes ago, reallywannaOT said:

Did they mention in the waitlist email anything about receiving account credentials? In the email sent to accepted students, they mentioned they would be sending out emails "within the next five days" for students to activate their JOINids. I was at uoft for my undergrad, so not sure if it was actually sent within 5 days as I already had an active account; but it is possible that this JOINid activation email was extended to waitlisted students as well. 

As an aside; it's possible that the applicant number is your ORPAS applicant number, and if you've been taken off the waitlist, you will likely see on ACORN (once you gain access to it) that you're "invited" to "OT MSOT2 2024-2025 Fall/Winter". Although no way to know for sure until you get an email; the absence of the ACORN enrolment doesn't mean anything!

Wishing for the best for you :)

the waitlist email (and the one i just received this morning about my JOINid account) didn’t mention anything about sending out any emails in the next couple of days and i’ve tried inputting my ORPAS number on JOINid but it didn’t work :( already emailed them about it but haven’t heard back yet

2 minutes ago, PlsTakeMeOT said:

the waitlist email (and the one i just received this morning about my JOINid account) didn’t mention anything about sending out any emails in the next couple of days and i’ve tried inputting my ORPAS number on JOINid but it didn’t work :( already emailed them about it but haven’t heard back yet

Maybe if you applied to UofT for undergrad, it's your OUAC number from then? I saw someone mention something about that earlier in this thread, and others were able to access ACORN through their JOINid that way. It's good you reached out to them, might be best to wait and see what their response is regarding the matter. Especially with the deadline for firm acceptances being next week, I imagine there will be waitlist movement very soon!

On 5/23/2024 at 9:19 AM, Joce said:

Hi everyone! I just made a groupchat for UofT OT :) Congrats again on any accepted offers!

https://chat.whatsapp.com/JRFmzZ0w7Q3HhzV1PaBazQ

Thanks @Joce! I have also created a Facebook group as well as a messenger chat linked below: 

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/434096586093029/

Facebook Messenger Chat: https://m.me/ch/AbaMjup8nRnUkeR-/

To any incoming UofT students, please reach out if you would like to be a co-admin member of the group! Congrats again to all individuals accepting offers! 😁

7 hours ago, PlsTakeMeOT said:

Let us know with what they reply!

anyone know when UBC MPT will send out their waitlist offers? I know the deadline to accept was May 19th so I really can't understand why nobody has heard back yet but it looks like in previous years waitlist offers have come out in late May/early June. has anyone gotten a waitlist offer yet?

5 hours ago, UBCMPT said:

anyone know when UBC MPT will send out their waitlist offers? I know the deadline to accept was May 19th so I really can't understand why nobody has heard back yet but it looks like in previous years waitlist offers have come out in late May/early June. has anyone gotten a waitlist offer yet?

I’m on UBC’s waitlist too and haven’t gotten anything yet! From previous years it looks like it could be really anytime since it’s based on who accepts or doesn’t accept their initial offers but yeah looks like the first ones get sent out around late May or early June. I assume the delay is partially due to confirmations that might be needed if someone didn’t formally accept or reject their offer by the deadline but I don’t actually know…it might also be because UBC is just notoriously slow. In previous years offers were sent from late May all the way into mid-August so fingers crossed it’s sooner rather than later! Good luck!

Has anyone received their official offer from UofA in the GSMS system yet? I was confused by the wording of the email when I sent my confirmation deposit if that offer would come before or after the admission file was processed.