Premed 101 Forums

whats the penalty if you are one below in the mcat

Guest kingrad

Guest kingrad

Dunno if any moderators can answer this or any body on "the inside" or in the know, but...Im very curious to know what an 8 in one section on the MCAT would do to the academic score if there is some sort of objective penalty to falling below the cutoff of 9.

For example, would they calculate the gpa differently? (3.85 drops by 0.10 to become a 3.75).

I received an interview with an 8, so Im just curious to know what disadvantage I am at in terms of the academic score.

Guest geekpunk

In their FAQ, UofT states that the MCAT is only used as a "flag" and is NOT calculated in the overall academic score (60%).

At least this is what I remember reading recently. Hope its true since I'm one below the MCAT too!

That being said, what goes into the academic score other than GPA? Do awards, scholarships, "rigour of program", research, UofT GPA, Cumulative GPA, the fact that you're 3rd year or 4th year or M.Sc or Ph.D go into the academic score?

I remember reading a post in the summer where someone had posted some inside info about how the academic score was calculated at UofT.

Guest kingrad

Hmmm...i had no idea other factors would be part of the academic score....I assumed it would just be the weighted gpa...and perhaps a penalty for one below in the mcat.

Just a hunch though. Is there anyone who knows how the academic score is calculated? I wonder if admissions would answer such questions if I called.

Guest treehuggingbiologist

An old hare hoar and an old hare hoar is very good meat in lent.

But a hare that is hoar is too much for a score, when it hoars ere it be spent.

I have no idea what that all means, but its the only thing i remember from Shakespeare in high school.

Guest try2dstress

I was always under the impression that the 'rigour of your undergrad program' won't be considered in admissions. I'm not sure where I heard this, but I have a vague memory of it being from someone official.

I think that having an MSc or PhD will be accounted for in your academic score though. I'm assuming this since grad student applications are looked at separately and the average gpa for grad students who are admitted is usually lower than the undergrads.

It would be nice to know the 'official' way they calculate the 60% academic score though.

Guest arjuna83

Hey,

For those of you wondering how the "academic" score is calculated, MEMED's post on 6/12/05 may be of interest:

Quote:

UofT med admissions converts everything in your file is into numbers.

GPA (Academics) - 60% of total score

Reference letters - 20%

Personal sketch - 10%

Extracurriculars - 10%

In the GPA category there are predetermined ranges for what type of score you get. i.e. if you have completed your degree and you have a GPA of 3.5 your score might start in the 45-50 range. if you have only completed 2 years then your score might start in the 35-40 range. Once your starting point is determined the reviewer is told that they can add on a bonus point for each of the following: teaching experience, research experience, publications, scholarships/awards. So you are at and advantage if you apply later because your score automatically starts in a higher bracket than someone with fewer years of undergrad, plus you've had more time to get research/teaching/publications/awards.

It's quite possible that a low score on the MCAT may reduce the numerical score you receive for the academic section. Anybody know for sure?

Archived