Premed 101 Forums

one 8 in MCAT

Guest kingrad

Guest kingrad

I need to hear some success stories!! I got an 8 in one section on the MCAT. Am I screwed? Or is it still possible like it was in the past to get in with an 8 on one section.

OT6, did you have a grad degree before applying?

kingrad, I think with the gpa and ecs you got you should be alright. Fingers crossed.

What are my chances of getting in with that horrible 7? Anyone? My gpa is about 3.87. Not sure about UT gpa but I would say around 3.9. Did a master's in UK with publications, presentations and one conference. Currently doing Ph.D on scholarship. Was women's officer for grad students at university, played volleyball for varsity reserve team, main editor for graduate magazine, worked part time as research associate, tons of hospital experience. Hope I did alright on the essay.

But I feel nothing else really matters with that 7 on the mcat. I know a lot of you would say that mcat is not the biggest deal but I've been losing out on interviews because of it. I wish schools can be more flexible and actually examine the entire package before throwing out people simply for one or two low scores.

Hopeless....

jjd322.. nope I was in 3rd year of undergrad when applying, I think they're even more leniant with an 8 for people in 4th year or in postgrad studies.

That 7 obviously doesn't look great, but don't lose hope. The one great thing about UT is that they DO look at the whole package and you seem to have a pretty nice one (not in the dirty janet jackson way) so hold in there, it's a long wait so try not to stress over it too much, and hopefully you'll get a good letter in a few months.

Thanks a lot 0T6. I've been rejected by UT twice now and probably lost hope long time ago. Will try to focus less on the applications and more on my work. Even if I do get accepted I still have to meet the June 30th thesis deadline, so that'll keep me busy I guess.

Guest geekpunk

In the same boat.

33P overall, but 8 in Verbal!

GPA is 3.75 (OMSAS), but 3.89 (UofT).

4th year, B.Sc (Honours) Neuroscience

I'm OOP.

Special EC's? I volunteered in India for a month this past summer in a Cerebral Palsy Clinic. Rest are pretty average.

Chances?!? Hoping my GPA (UofT calc) will help me.

Guest scrubbed

Hey GP,

Clearly, I can't say this absolutely, but you do seem to have a strong file for an undergraduate applicant. Your GPA is a little above average for undergraduates. If you have decent reference letters and presented yourself well in your essay and sketch, you may have a shot.

Your OOP status has no effect on your application. U ot T is neutral regarding resident province.

It's a tough wait I know. Keep at it.

Cheers.

Guest geekpunk

Thanks scrubbed,

I would absolutely love to be at UofT next year! Man, Toronto and all the things it has to offer too...sigh

I've gone through junior high, high school, and undergrad here in Halifax and I think it's time for a change :P

• 4 months later...
Guest lachicachicachica

I don't know if this will make you feel better, I responded to someone else in another topic on this forum. I got 8 in VS, 9 in BS, 11 in PS and Q in WS. I have a 3.95 OMSAS and I am in third year. I got an interview.

Guest MD4eva

I got an interview with 6 in VR (the other three were not so great!). My OMSAS GPA is around 3.95. So, don't give up hope if one your MCAT marks is below the cut-off, because UofT looks at the whole package.

Guest MD4eva

Yes! I was invited for interview this year. However, I'm not sure if I have a good chance to get accepted this year, because of my low MCAT. The interview counts for 20% of the final selection and the other 80% is already been calculated from GPA, MCAT, ABS, Essay and EC.

MD4eva

Guest Meddream

I think you'll have a good chance if you do well in your interview. The fact that you got an interview is amazing b/c talking to the admission office, I was told that this year due to ~600 more applicants, they won't even look at applicants with a 6 on MCAT. so I guess the rest of your package was so amazing that they had to invite you! Congrats!

Guest kingrad

i got an interview with an 8 in PS.

My stats are: 3.85 u of t gpa, lots of ECs, NSERC, and what i believe to be a well written essay.

There is hope.

Archived