Premed 101 Forums

GIM vs ID: any input?

mskfb

Curious about anyone's input on pursuing GIM (5 yr fellowship) vs ID as a subspecialty in the Canadian setting. I'd favour the 5-year GIM over the 4 year, as the place I want to work only really hires 5-year GIM grads. I like the medicine in both ID and GIM, and while I favour GIM (slightly) for various reasons (flexibility, compensation, diagnostic breadth), it's really not a slam dunk and there are lots of other outside of medicine things that factor into my decision. Ultimately I think I'd be happy in both, just wondering if anyone else has faced a similar dilemma or has opinions regarding this. Thanks!

EDIT: for context, PGY3 with CARMS coming up.

Agreed with above poster.

I can't comment on the academic settings anymore but in large urban community hospitals I have colleagues who do ID and GIM (most of them do it due to a combination of compensation but also the fact that they also like GIM). It would make sense to do ID for that reason. Even if you were not sure it would make more sense to do ID and afterwards you can just do GIM if that is really all you want to do (whereas you can't do the opposite)

On 10/26/2023 at 11:56 AM, Supervenience said:

Echo above. I don't know where you are looking to work, but I can say that in Toronto, TGH for example which is one of the leading academic hospitals in all of Canada, has ID staff running CTU.

Good Old Paul Bunce, Isaac and Wayne among others I’m sure