Premed 101 Forums

Does gpa weighting formula drop courses overall or per year?

Guest try2dstress

Guest try2dstress

does anyone know if U of T drops your lowest full-year course *per year*, or if they just drop your 4 lowest *overall* (if you've done 4 years of study)?

Guest ilikecereal

I believe it is the lowest courses, not per year. However, do you know what they consider a full course load (I know it is generally 5) however, if we did some engineering where we tend to take 6 full courses per year instead of 5 like sciences, do they take the top 5 (or 4 assuming they drop our lowest marks if we have completed 3 years or more)

Guest dayne67

I wish they did, but I doubt it.

I also did my undergrad in engineering. Choosing the best five of each year would certainly level the playing the field for those forced to take more than the usual because of their program.

Guest try2dstress

seems like there are a lot of engineers to be meds on this board (i'm one of them)...did you all want to be docs during undergrad or did you decide later? personally if i had known i was going to apply to med school i never would have tortured myself in undergrad.

Guest dayne67

I decided that I wanted to be a doctor after my second year of engineering (electrical). I still liked the different elements of engineering, but I knew that I wanted to be a doctor a lot more than an engineer for the rest of my life. And medicine was always at the back of my mind, but up until that point, I just wasn't sure if I truly wanted to become a doctor.

I then decided to spend my fourth year of university as a Life Sciences student at UofT. I took first year biology, chemistry, psychology, and some other electives. I then came back and finished my final year of engineering. I am currently working as an engineer and waiting for responses from some med schools.

Looking back, I wish I had decided earlier on becoming a doctor. Engineering was VERY rigorous. Moreover, judging by my experience as a Life Sciences student, I would probably have enjoyed that more than being an engineering student. Don't get me wrong, I had some great times in engineering (i.e. some great courses and I made a lot of friends), but I am speaking relatively.

I know of other engineers (from my graduating class) as well that are trying to get into medicine. I get the sense that many engineers just become disillusioned by their jobs and careers. To get a sense of what I am talking about, watch the movie "Office Space". It's an excellent satire of the life of software engineers.

Guest try2dstress

dayne67 - i hear what you're saying about having a good experience in engineering, but that being 'relative.

did you go to u of t engineering? i'm asking because i was in elec there (graduated 2004) .

Guest blueskies8000

I'm also in engineering @ U of T! Currently in my fourth year and counting down the days (less than 20) until I get my iron ring!

=)

Have also applied to U of T and haven't heard from them yet... =(

Guest MedSchoolGirl2005

If your school does full-year courses, they drop your four lowest (if completed 4 years). If your school does semester courses, they drop 8 courses. hope that helps....

Guest BlazinKhan

This is news to me as I thought they dropped your lowest course per year. This gives me more hope since first year isn't exactly the easiest, especially at UofT.

Archived