Premed 101 Forums

Couples Matching ROL Question

Hey guys! My partner and I are thinking of couples matching but there’s one factor we can’t find answers to anywhere. Although we’d like to stay together, I need to prioritize staying close to home for family reasons and we’ve decided that no matter where my partner goes, I am ranking my home school first. If I don’t match here, then we’ll put in the options to stay in the same city. 

We’re wondering if couples matching would put me at a disadvantage for matching to my top choice program at home. For example if our list looks like…

A1 - A2
A1 - B2
A1 - C2

A1 - D2 
B1 - B2
C1 - C2

D1 - D2 

(I am #1 and my partner is #2 and the letters correspond to schools). 
If my partner matches to C2 and myself to A1… and on the programs side they have one spot left and there is someone else who ranked A1 first, would that person get picked over me? Although A1 is my first choice, if my partner matches C2, does the algorithm think it’s my third choice? Not sure if any of this makes sense but would really really appreciate hearing what you guys think!

Whether a program is your first choice, second choice, etc. does not actually negatively affect your chance of matching. Say program A has 1 spot and has ranked you #1 and Applicant X #2. If you ranked program A #10 and went unmatched for your #1 through #9 choices, you would still match to program A over Applicant X even if they ranked program A #1 because the program ranked them below you.

In the couples match, A1-C2 would be your third choice, but that in itself does not negatively affect your chances of matching to the combination. In your example, if your partner successfully matches to A2, B2, C2, or D2, your chance of matching to A1 would be the same whether you were going through the match individually or as a couple. However, even if you were ranked high enough to match to A1, if your partner does not match to any of A2, B2, C2, or D2, you both would move down your rank order list to B1-B2, C1-C2, etc.

That is my understanding at least. Hope that makes some sense!