Premed 101 Forums

Pass/Fail Accepted as Pre-Req

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty sure this has popped up somewhere before...but after doing some extensive searching, I couldn't find a post that dealt with my current question.

I'm at McGill, and we have the option of taking one course under a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory scheme (per year). I would like to take what UofT classifies to be a Humanities course under this particular scheme. I know that UofT requires that you have a full year course equivalent of Social Science/Humanities for admission into med. My question is, if I did take this course under the S/U (or P/F) option...am I still allowed to use it as a prereq...even if it is ungraded? I will get credits for the course if I pass it though (just for clarification). I searched the UofT med admissions FAQ and they didnt have anything on this particular question.

If there are any threads discussing this issue (even if they pertain to other schools) I would love to get a hold of them. Thanks in advance for any info you guys may have regarding this issue!

Spencer

Guest Spencer

OK! Spoke to Admissions and cleared this up (finally!).

UofT does not care whether or not pre-reqs are done under a pass/fail grading scheme. As long as you have the credits for the pre-reqs it is OK! They do not treat correspondence, summer school, P/F courses any differently for pre-reqs! So feel free to go and take that uber tough course under a P/F option.

I hope this helps some folks out...it's finally nice to have the final word from Admissions! :D

Spencer

Archived