Premed 101 Forums

Should I go to US or Canadian undergrad if my end goal was to just get in med school?

Hey! I'm a Canadian Grade 12 student whos having a really tough time deciding where I should go to get into med school. I have honestly never been so sure in my life, I don't want to take alternative pathways, I am dead set on going into med school. I applied to one of my dream schools in the US and got in for a pre-med track (Umiami) . I know the competition here is fierce (having only 17 med schools) and the pool of American schools being Canadian friendly is larger but still ridiculously fierce. I really wanted to go to Umiami because of their research opportunities, small professor to student ratios, and I had a relative go there who had really competitive grades. (Of course I know I wont get handed out grades, but I figured it would be a bit easier and play into my advantage). 

I was recently advised by many many people online to ditch it and go to a Canadian school to continue my medical track in Canada. I genuinely don't see myself practicing in Canada but apparently it is easier to get your MD here and then do residency in the US. I have accepted the fact that the fastest road would mean not going to my dream school but I keep double backing on decisions I have to make. I'm really grateful that money is not of my main concerns but still a contributing factor and I'd would love to get any insight I can get on this decision. Thank you!

Do you have American citizenship? It sounds like you do if you say you don't see yourself practising in Canada. If so, go to undergrad in a program where you will be the most successful (ie. get the highest GPA, prepare yourself best [or give you opportunity to study on your own time] for the MCAT, and have EC opportunities). Then apply to both Canadian and USMD. Generally, a US citizen applying to USMD will have better chances than a Canadian citizen applying to Canadian schools (many Canadian citizen applicants are accepted in the us while being rejected from Canadian schools at the same time). If you plan on working in the states and have US citizenship you might as well just do the whole US track because it wouldn't make sense to just come back for residency.