Premed 101 Forums

UoT, McGill, McMaster undergrad question!

Guest leaf345

Guest leaf345

Hello

I'm a high school student and am going to university next year. I got accepted into UoT:SG(Life Sciences), McGill(Science), and McMaster(Science-not Health Science!).

I was just wondering if any of you with undergrad experience in these schools would be able to share some information with me.

My current goal is a carreer in health, preferably going to medical school. I know that extra curriculars and a high GPA are very important for this. My questions:

1) What are the opportunities at these universities to take part in research? How are the volunteering oppurtunities at the university or the city that they are located in?

2) GPA. I know university should be about learning not marks, but I would like to be able to achieve a high GPA as well and not be slaughtered in my first year. Is UoT really as hard as they say, or are most of the horror stories from ill-prepared students? Any tips on preparing for first year of undergrad?

3) Will going to school in Quebec affect my chances of getting into a mecial school in Ontario? Quebec?

4) Should I try and transfer to Lakehead for second year?

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

Guest Dockrh

Hello,

Next fall I will be attending Mc Master for Health Sciences. The reason why I chose this school is because although it is well known, many incredibly smart people are not drawn to this school. UoT is very well known and I believe you would have a hard time being able to assist a prof in research as a result. If you work hard though your GPA will probably go up. My brother did his undergrad at UoT and his marks actually increased. You will find when you go to university your main focus is usually just academics. When your in highschool, you're juggling academics, ecs, work,etc. If you can use time management then, you will have no problem in university.

dockrh

Guest Maelswarm

1) What are the opportunities at these universities to take part in research? How are the volunteering oppurtunities at the university or the city that they are located in?

UT - nothing beats it for research. You will have no trouble finding a prof to work with over the next 4 years. Volunteering opportunities abound. Way more places = way more volunteers needed. You just need to take initiative and apply.

2) GPA. I know university should be about learning not marks, but I would like to be able to achieve a high GPA as well and not be slaughtered in my first year. Is UoT really as hard as they say, or are most of the horror stories from ill-prepared students? Any tips on preparing for first year of undergrad?

Depends on how you were in high school. The learning skills you developed in high school will determine how well you do in first year. If you don't have a good work ethic, it doesn't matter WHERE you go, you won't do that well. UT isn't harder, and I know a LOT of people who juggle tons of extracurrics and get good marks. Since the people who talk are usually those who are complaining, you don't hear the good stuff from the students who do well.

3) Will going to school in Quebec affect my chances of getting into a mecial school in Ontario? Quebec?

If you're an Ontario resident, you'll still be considered as an Ontario resident when you apply for med school. That means you'll have an advantage in Ontario but won't in Quebec. But then again, unless you're very fluent in French you probably wouldn't want to go anywhere except for McGill for meds anyway.

4) Should I try and transfer to Lakehead for second year?

No comment.

Guest blinknoodle

The programs you picked are bigger Canadian cities - Toronto and Montreal. Of course there will be plenty of volunteering opportunities - just pick up the phone book and start calling. The same thing with Hamilton, even though it is a smaller city, there is a ton of choice to get involved on campus as well as in the community (Hamilton has a diverse population).

For research opportunities, all schools will have ample choice since you have picked fairly research-intensive universities. But to be honest, most students do research in the summers. Therefore, you can search out research placements at any university/city in Canada - you can choose to stay at your home university, go home, or travel to a new place altogether.

Re: marks, you will need to be a diligent student at any university to get an A, be that at Lakehead or Toronto. However, certain universities may be structured to suit your learning style better. Smaller universities (McMaster, maybe Lakehead?) are more likely to have smaller classes, if you prefer that. McMaster is also putting a heavier focus on group-work in its science classes, if that suits your style. No matter which university you go to, it is important to stay on top of your work instead of leaving things to that last minute before the midterm or exam. At McMaster, I found I was more likely to have a different midterm every week for 2 months, instead of a week of multiple midterms. I am not sure if other schools are the same way (or whether it was just sheer luck throughout my undergrad), but I prefered having my midterms spaced out.

If you are truly interested in attending Lakehead, I am sure you could apply for admission in July when they list the open spots after all the initial acceptances have been confirmed.

Good luck with your decision. Remember that you can always opt for a transfer if you don't feel like you chose the right program for yourself.

Archived