Premed 101 Forums

Oath taking ceremony

Guest G09

I have friends at other med schools who have had a "white coat" ceremony to start med school to which their families were invited. I was wondering if our oath-taking ceremony is a similar thing - ie can we invite family and friends to attend or is it just for the class of '09?

As well, I was wondering for those in second year how you enjoyed orientation week. My problem is I'm a little tight on money right now and am hesitant about paying the $125 as I know I will be at a cottage for the long weekend and will probably not attend a few other activities. Obviously it is a good way to meet people but did previous years feel it was worth the money?

Guest DrPunjabi

When I wrote to ask about the orientation week, if family were allowed to attend (with the Oath Ceremony in mind), I received a reply that no family or friends were to attend because they physically could not accommodate anyone. Maybe they misunderstood me, but that was the exact reply.

Guest OttawaMeds2008

I'm in second year and the oath ceremony is held in the atrium of Roger Guindon so there is no way to fit everyone's family and friends. It is just a small ceremony attended by all of the med-school faculty. I think what they mean is that the room (physically) is not big enough to handle any guests. As for frosh week, I would definately recommend spending the money! We had a lot of fun last year and this year promises to be just as good if not better. Hope to see you there.

This is renegaded and not official but, I would at least try to bring my mom and dad or a significant other. They can stand in the back (with a camera). We were able to fit 350 people for the president of the CMA in the atrium. The faculty places such a high importance on family medicine this could be an excellent heartfelt family opportunity.

Cheers,

g22g

p.s. once you cross the oath ceremony line there is no turning back. aka tution refund...(Which your family in one way or another will have to bear).

Archived