Premed 101 Forums

TB Test

Guest persianmed

Guest persianmed

Hi I had a question about the vaccination requirements in order to register...I have had a positive skin test in the past, with a clear CXR. So, the family doc told me that I do not need a skin test this time around, and just asked me to get an X-Ray (I am awaiting results). My question is: can the admissions committee rescind your offer of admission if:

1)you have a positive skin test?

2) you have a CXR that shows signs of old/active TB? (unlikely with me, but just want to cover all angles)

3) you have a known history of TB as a child? (my own details are sketchy)

Kindly let me know, as I am really anxious about this....it would suck to lose out because of something like this!

Guest peachy

There is no chance that they will rescind your admission, no matter what happens based on your TB test. Not even if you forget to get the TB test at all and they have to hunt you down at the beginning of the school year to make you get it! So don't worry about it! If it'll make you feel less stressed, then call admissions up and ask them directly.

Guest CTU24

If you are this concerned, it is best to call admissions to find out.

That being said, I am 99.9% sure that they don't really care about whether you are +ive or -ive...they just want to know your status so that they can protect you/patients accordingly. People in 0T8 didn't get some of the vaccination form done until May, and were hounded all year...and no one's kicking them out or rescinding offers.

Calm down. You're in. If it was me, I would call admissions to clarify, but no one will be tapping you on the shoulder telling you the offer was a mistake.

Congrats

CTU24

Guest CalicoKal

They might ask you to go on the course of antibiotics that people sometimes have to take when they test positive but have a clear cxr.

Guest FrenchyMed

After my positive skin test last summer (and clear chest X-ray) Ottawa asked me to see my physician once a year for follow-up and I have to sign a statement each year that lists all the active TB signs and symptoms to ensure I can recognize them should my latent TB becomes active.

I am currently on my 4th month of the 9-month INH treatment. The treatment is not mandatory but highly recommended for health care professionals. The problem is that you can't drink while on INH :rolleyes . So I chose to wait until frosh week was over before starting (and then forgot to see my doctor for a while...).

I seriously doubt that any med school could refuse you on grounds of latent TB. But I understand your anguish - I was in the same boat last year... ;)

Archived