Premed 101 Forums

UofT or Western?

Guest bfong07MD

Guest bfong07MD

I posted this earlier, but it was wiped out.

Basically, I've been accepted to UofT, Western and Mac. I'm not considering Mac, so my choice is down to UofT or Western.

I'm from Toronto, and the majority of my family and friends are in Toronto. If I stay in Toronto, I will be living close to campus at a fraternity where the rent is fairly cheap (approx. $300 per month). However, if I go to Western, they will give me $20,000 per year up to 4 years in scholarship.

My main considerations thus far have been financial issues, family (parents really want me to stay in Toronto), quality of education (curriculum, clerkship, learning opportunities, H/P/F vs P/F system, atmosphere) and competitiveness for matching for residency (I want to do residency in Toronto or a large US centre).

If any medical students or residents can give me their opinion, it would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

Guest ttryit

fong, all I can tell you is that $20,000.00 is worth WAY more when you consider the interest you will be avoiding in addition to the 20gs.

Also, Western is MUCH cheaper than U of T (especially when you again consider the time value of money).

Given the option, I would choose UWO.

Good luck.

tt

Guest theclevername

Yes...in general rent is much cheaper in london compared to toronto. I know students who have one-bedrooms all to themselves close to campus for around $500 a month...whereas in toronto it is closer to $1000. Also, Western gives you a bus pass already included with student fees...something the ttc won't do.

Archived