Premed 101 Forums

Referee Gifts?

Guest byjude

This is always a huge paranoia-inducing question for me, so I'd appreciate any advice or personal experiences:

Do you give thank you gifts to people who write letters of reference for you? What do you give?

Guest Lactic Folly

I think it is a nice gesture since putting together letters for all those schools is quite a bit of work. Some people have posted that they go with just a thank you card though, so I guess it's up to you. I went with chocolates or fruit.. it's not very creative, but I figured edibles were a safer bet than decorative items ;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

In each of the wee portfolios that I gave my referees (which included my CV, instructions, ExpressPost envelopes, etc.) I included a Starbucks card that held $10 worth of credit. My cover letter for the portfolio indicated that the Starbucks card was as a wee thanks, but more importantly a source of fuel for the letter writing process, ahead. I figured that this was a different and logical little token of appreciation that was not too over-the-top. To boot, all of them seemed to appreciate it. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest noncestvrai

Just a little note, be careful with alcool, since in some religions it is forbidden, and also Kosher food etc. You never know right, I mean you want your gift to be appreciated. I would expect that if you ask a referee a letter you should know quite a bit about them, for not making any faux pas and getting the right mean to express your gratitude.

I will go with wine and chocolates (incidently my favorites as well).

noncestvrai

My landlord is a retired professor and she feels gifts are unnecessary and problematic (in a conflict of interests sort of way) since she may end up writing a letter for the same person again at a later date. She and her colleagues much prefer a simple thank you note and for you to come back some time down the road and let them know how you're doing.

Archived